1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with LCD projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Too Tall, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Too Tall

Too Tall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Guys,
    I don't know if you can help, but I hope so.

A friend has just acquired (though a works clear out) an 3M MP8725B. The problem is that the lamp is blown. I don't know must about LCD PJs and my friend is wondering if it is worth him getting the bulb, to set it up as a HC PJ.

So question is:
    Does anyone know if this PJ is any good?
    Will it work as a HC PJ OK?
    Any idea where to get a bulb, the cheapest quote so far has been £340 inc VAT and Del?

Any help will be gratefully received.

Cheers,
    Too Tall.

2. nphnet

nphnet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

The pj is 1024 x 768 and 700 lums so I would say that if the pj is free and the only cost to get it working is the price of a bulb then it is probably worth the money. You can buy a screen for under £100, and although it may not be that quiet you should still get alot of fun for the money, failing that you could sell it for more that the price of the bulb and put the money toward a new Z1.

Nick.

3. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have played a little with one of those. I borrowed it from work a couple of years ago.

It really needs a HTPC to give a good picture because the internal video processing is utter crap. It also doesn't have a 16:9-mode so you won't be able to take advantage of full resolution of anamorphic DVDs unless you use a HTPC. Another reason to use a HTPC is the crap video-inputs. The only useable input is the RGB-input (PC).

The contrast is very low but other than that it's perfectly useable as long as it's used with a HTPC. The unit I tested was bright and had a pretty smooth and uniform picture.

A bulb for those will run you about £300-400 I believe.

Tor Arne