1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with laptop playback on CRT TV please

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by spikey1, Jan 29, 2004.

Tags:
  1. spikey1

spikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask but seems as good as any.

Im very new to the world of all things computer based. I have stored on hard drive things I want to watch on my CRT TV and also need to use the laptop for VCD playback as my DVD's don't support.

I have most (if not all) the media players (real,windows media, quicktime etc etc) and have necessary plug ins.

I connect the laptop up to the TV via TV out, SVHS + 2xphono.

When playing back I have the usual display on the TV showing the desktop and the media player window open but no picture in the window, when swapping back to the laptop monitor or running both at the same time the media plays as normal.

It must be a setting i suppose but have no idea where, I don't mind which player I use.

Somebody suggested it could be something to do with macro protection but I can't see why as I'm straight in to TV and some of the material on hard drive won't have any protection.

I should also add that sound plays fine, so it is definately playing.

Sorry for such a long mail but can anyone please help?

2. tvr

tvr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If I take it you are mirroring your desktop to the TV rather than using it as a second (extended) desktop, then I think all you need to do is to set your TV out as the primary output device. ( in display settings - under displays tab)

Then your Laptop screen will be the cloned display.
    You will now see video on the TV but not on the laptop monitor.

This works on a Radeon 9000 graphics laptop we have here in the office.

Hope this helps

Let me know if you need more info

Regards

tvr

3. spikey1

spikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the tip, I have the same graphics. Will try when I get a chance and let you know, although I did set the output here but didn't disable the monitor screen.

4. tvr

tvr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You don't have to disable the laptop monitor. You will just see a black window where the video should be!! The TV will display the video correctly when set as primary monitor.

Regards

tvr

5. spikey1

spikey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thank you very much it works perfectly. I can now sit back and enjoy all those informative documentaries available online.

Next working out how to convert avi to mpeg but that looks very long winded!