Help with kids pc

Mr Regan

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys im in need of some help getting a pc up and running for my son and need some advice on a few bits and pieces. :thumbsup:

first up i was given some pc bits,

Motherboard: Nvidia nforce 680i sli

Ram:. Corsair xms2 800mhz 4 gig ram

Graphics Card: nvidia geforce gtx260

Hard Drive: Maxtor 320gb sata

I need advice on.

Case.
PSU.
More Memory? does it need it.

would these be ok.?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SATUR...ting_DesktopComponents_RL&hash=item19cd89ff7a

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-VANTA...ting_DesktopComponents_RL&hash=item3ccf1e5a4c

To be honest i know little about pc's but i will manage to piece it together, He wants to use it to play COD and a bit of gaming and also use it to record from his hauppauge that i just bought him, So the question is will this set up be ok ish gaming pc for him to use or no good and just scrap the idea :laugh:

few pics of what I've got.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Anyone :confused:

Either of those will do: downside is the unknown capability of the psu but it will probably do what you want. In any case, you need a full-size case. You don't need any more memory.

Either of those will do: downside is the unknown capability of the psu but it will probably do what you want. In any case, you need a full-size case. You don't need any more memory.

Thanks for the advice :)

The PC is probably built up and running now, but yeah it will make a capable entry level gaming PC :)

I had a GTX 260 a few month back as a stop gap between GPU`s and it handled newer titles quite well (very power hungry cards and get hot to) try and manage the cables well so it gets good airflow.

The memory on the motherboard, they are in the wrong slots, put the RAM in the black dimms.. This is dual channel memory and its running it single channel mode the way it is installed in the pic :)

The PC is probably built up and running now, but yeah it will make a capable entry level gaming PC :)

I had a GTX 260 a few month back as a stop gap between GPU`s and it handled newer titles quite well (very power hungry cards and get hot to) try and manage the cables well so it gets good airflow.

The memory on the motherboard, they are in the wrong slots, put the RAM in the black dimms.. This is dual channel memory and its running it single channel mode the way it is installed in the pic :)

Hi thanks for your advice :) I bought this case and psu NEW MARS RED GAMING ATX CASE PC COMPUTER TOWER & LCD TEMP DISPLAY & 750W PSU | eBay and installed everything only to find out the 4 pin power for the mother board was not good as it needed a 6 pin, Anyway i modified the lead and it all fired up except the GPU i then installed another GPU that is known to work with the same results "doesn't fire up" so i was thinking it must be the MB. Any idea of a cheapish motherboard that i can install my memory gpu etc in :D

Hi thanks for your advice :) I bought this case and psu NEW MARS RED GAMING ATX CASE PC COMPUTER TOWER & LCD TEMP DISPLAY & 750W PSU | eBay and installed everything only to find out the 4 pin power for the mother board was not good as it needed a 6 pin, Anyway i modified the lead and it all fired up except the GPU i then installed another GPU that is known to work with the same results "doesn't fire up" so i was thinking it must be the MB. Any idea of a cheapish motherboard that i can install my memory gpu etc in :D
Silly question but did you plug the PCI-e power cables into the GPU?

Also the PSU that came with the case, it only has 1 PCI-e power lead, what power cables did you plug into the GTX 260 pal?

Silly question but did you plug the PCI-e power cables into the GPU?

Yes done that, The lcd read out on the board was giving me beeps and the code for no GPU found. with this card and the other that i tried.

Looks like i'm looking for a new MB the cpu is an intel core 2 duo malay 2.66ghz

Cheers mate that will be ideal for him :)

I hope it solves your problem bud :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom