Help with John Lewis pricematch on Sony 40D3000

waffley

Established Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone could help me out please.
We finally decided on a Sony 40D3000, so tried a John Lewis pricematch. My husband often works in Solihull (we live about 60 miles away) and we saw that TotalDigital were offering this set for £739. I phoned them on Monday to check on the instore price, and whether it was on display (yes to both!!) so phoned JL Solihull to pricematch straight away. Received a letter on Saturday from JL Solihull to say that the 40D3000 was not on display with a shelf edge ticket so no pricematch :thumbsdow
I had already noticed on Friday that TotalDigital had no stock, so we are now a little stuck. I definitely want a 5 year warranty, but of course you only get the Sony one if you buy instore, and the only place I can find one where I live is priced at £1199 :eek: There is of course Comet at £799 but no warranty unless you buy their warranty, which brings the price up an awful lot.
So I was hoping to find somewhere that I could pricematch with John Lewis as I am a little wary of buying such a large item via the internet, as most terms and conditions say the warranty is return to base, and I dread to think of the cost of that, plus it leaves you without a TV!
So my very long winded question is: does anyone know of anywhere that John Lewis is happy to pricematch with, that displays their products with a shelf edge price? I see Sound and Vision have a price of £775 but have no idea if they display the price. Looking on the internet doesn't help that much and you can't really phone up a store and ask if they display the price correctly! ;)
So if anyone can help me I would be very grateful. I would love to buy locally at an independant retailer but the prices are just too over the top!
Thank you all

.......so you are buying a Sony but want a panasonic warranty?

OK I'm an idiot - looking for an LCD has addled my brain! :confused:
I meant Sony of course and not Panasonic, and have now edited my post!
Sorry for the confusion

Could you not PM with Comet?

Comet's £799 is a web-only price - it's £999 instore (although a Comet store might match the web price; be silly not to, as you could simply go home, order on the web, and then go back and collect). As for JL, I actually have an agreed pricematch on the 40D3000 at JL Norwich, but they don't have any stock at my local store (I found this out when I phoned to confirm I would be in to collect) or at the central warehouse - it's also no longer listed on the website.

i as in the same dilemma a week ago and bought it for 750 without warranty, sales of goods act should cover problems anyway.

i guess you cant have it all. for the price you get it with 5 year in store warranty you can also buy it cheaper and pay for the warranty, gonna be the same in the end

Comet's £799 is a web-only price - it's £999 instore (although a Comet store might match the web price; be silly not to, as you could simply go home, order on the web, and then go back and collect). As for JL, I actually have an agreed pricematch on the 40D3000 at JL Norwich, but they don't have any stock at my local store (I found this out when I phoned to confirm I would be in to collect) or at the central warehouse - it's also no longer listed on the website.

It was out of stock in JL Sollihull but I was told that it could be ordered for the next batch of deliverys on 28th October, and at the pricematch (if I had got it!).
May I ask which store you pricematched with please. Thank you

i as in the same dilemma a week ago and bought it for 750 without warranty, sales of goods act should cover problems anyway.

i guess you cant have it all. for the price you get it with 5 year in store warranty you can also buy it cheaper and pay for the warranty, gonna be the same in the end

But you can't blame me for looking for the best deal can you;) I'm not being greedy, just trying to keep within a budget! Also it isn't easy to invoke the sales of goods act and I am getting too old for that sort of hassle:rolleyes:
Thank you for your input.

It was out of stock in JL Sollihull but I was told that it could be ordered for the next batch of deliverys on 28th October, and at the pricematch (if I had got it!).

Mine was with Empire Direct in Romford at £849. But I was in the Norwich store yesterday with my confirmation email to follow-up. The section manager checked the JL system, and found that is discontinued by JL - on the JL stock system it shows up with several chevrons before the item code/model no/description. I was told this means they cannot order, and Solihull will I guess be the same.

Mine was with Empire Direct in Romford at £849. But I was in the Norwich store yesterday with my confirmation email to follow-up. The section manager checked the JL system, and found that is discontinued by JL - on the JL stock system it shows up with several chevrons before the item code/model no/description. I was told this means they cannot order, and Solihull will I guess be the same.

Thank you for letting me know - much appreciated

i will be supprised if they get anymore as the 40"D has bin discon
if this is the modu want i would really hurry and find one somewhere:smashin:

i will be supprised if they get anymore as the 40"D has bin discon
if this is the modu want i would really hurry and find one somewhere:smashin:

There seem to be a few deals around at various stores - for the most part on the web though unless you want to pay "generously". But some of these show out of stock, and then the reference disappears completely. My local Comet, interestingly, is plugging the 40D3000 as a totally new model - it's possible the company has bought up "significant" stock from Sony, ie most of what was left in the Sony warehouse so that in effect it'll become a Comet exclusive once other stockists run out.

There seem to be a few deals around at various stores - for the most part on the web though unless you want to pay "generously". But some of these show out of stock, and then the reference disappears completely. My local Comet, interestingly, is plugging the 40D3000 as a totally new model - it's possible the company has bought up "significant" stock from Sony, ie most of what was left in the Sony warehouse so that in effect it'll become a Comet exclusive once other stockists run out.

maybe,the DSG group(dixons,pc world) bought up the LA3 range(desk top pc)
so it was exclusive,sony centres didnt even see them

got mine on amazon for 749 without 5 year warranty but they have put the price up to 939 now!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom