Help with Intel Wireless card in laptop

Smokeybandit

Standard Member
Basically i purchased a Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 wireless card for my laptop. I have installed the card. drivers updated etc. But i am just wondering if their is settings i need to change to maximize the speed of this card or is it really this slow (connecting to a Virgin Media Superhub 2 5ghz)

Laptop Wireless 5ghz Speedtest

Iphone 5c 5ghz Speedtest

Confused how my iphone can get faster speeds than the laptop. Anyone any ideas ?

cjed

The two different applications are probably talking to different servers - to do a comparison you'll need to test download from the same server.

Smokeybandit

Standard Member
Hi both speedtests were done from Glasgow Server.

Here is another test for both on Newcastle server.

Laptop Speedtest on 5ghz

Iphone 5c on 5ghz

mickevh

Distinguished Member
How many antenna's does your laptop have...? 40(ish) mbps sounds suspiciously like your only running single stream (1 antenna.)
What speeds did you achieve with it before you changed the NIC...?
Check that "40MHz" (or "auto") channel width is enabled in your NIC settings, if it offers such controls.

Smokeybandit

Standard Member
Hi mickevh,

So this is my first time at changing a wireless card in a laptop. It has 2 antenna's. both plugged into the card. Have even changed them round incase i plugged them back in incorrectly. but still same speed 40ish.
Before i changed the card i was getting 52-55ish.

In the advanced settings for the wireless card it says 802.1n channel width for 5.2mhz (Auto or 20mhz)

Is that suppose to say 40 ?

Not sounding as easy as i first thought lol

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Nothing looks wrong there, though it's interesting that it claims 3 antennas in use when you only have a 2x2 NIC ! (Maybe it's reporting the number of antennas in your SuperHub rather than your laptop.) If channel width doesn't offer "40MHz" options, I'd leave it in "auto" and it should use 40MHz if it's available.

I'm not sure I can offer much further help as everything looks as it should.

However, there's a couple of other things you might like to try, neither of which will fix the problem, but may yield some further information that helps in the diagnosis:

Run up InSSIDer (on the laptop) and check that your Access Point (router/SuperHub/Homehub/whatever) is actually advertising 40 MHz channels (InSSIDer draws it graphically and you can also kind of figure it out from the channel numbers & max link rate advertised/cited.) Note that if you run InSSIDer at the same time as a speed test, inSSIDer clobbers the throughput so you won't get good speed test results until you shut InSSIDer down.

Second, I prefer not to use Internet speed testers to assess local link performance as the Internet link adds an additional variable to the testing scenario. If you've got a couple of Windows machines around, esp. if you can connect one of them to your router using an ethernet cable, tools such as iPerf and NetIO do a much better job of testing local links performance. Of the two, I prefer NetIO as is runs the tests for a bit longer and uses a mix of different packet sizes.

That said, I fully appreciate that two devices in the same locale should see similar Internet speed tests, (if anything, I'd expect the phone to be worse than a laptop,) but a "proper" local link test gives you some further information.

In the realm of "grasping at straws" - you could try disabling 802.11A in your laptop NIC if you don't need it and if you don't have any 802.11A client devices (for example, if everything you have is "N" compatible) you might try disabling 802.11A on your router (no point advertising it if nothing uses it.) Likewise 802.11B in the 2.4GHz band (and you could even disable G if all your 2.4GHz devices are N or better.)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom