Help with int' Amp choice please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by sparky1, Nov 29, 2010.

1. sparky1

sparky1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi All
    in the market for an integrated Amp,
    ive recently had some awful luck :rolleyes:
    my monobloks are dead and buried now, so purchased a CA 840A v2 and after a dreadful experience with the store ive been offered a full refund so..
    £600 on another amp

The CA, altho like it didnt excite me at all, it is very nice but i dont know it just doesnt hit the spot with me, leaves me with a feeling of after about 30mins i move onto something else to do instead, its like background music,
    bit hard to explain really as im no expert on this type of thing but when my Musical Fidelity was on it had me stuck to the chair not wanting to move:)

So where do i go from here chaps im at a loss,some ive been looking at are

Creek evo 2
    Roksan kandy II
    Rega
    Arcam
    or
    Back to Musical Fidelity ?

Any help would be great

Mark

2. Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Why didn't you just get your old amp fixed?

3. sparky1

sparky1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    ha yes Mr Pig i know ive been over this many times myself since :( , it was time they where updated but like a tit i didnt demo any others and went on reviews.
    Ive since changed IC's and its sounding better, but not the current flow of the MF's so the CA has to be cranked right up to get the best out of it imo where as the MF's had brilliant low volume detail/imaging because of the class A i suppose

Mark

4. Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Ok. Just buy another set of the same MF amps then? That's what I'd do. I have Meridian 105 monoblocks and if they got stolen I'd buy another set and have Meridian service them.

A hard lesson in Hi-Fi is that it's much easier to find stuff that's not brilliant than it is to find stuff you love. So when you find stuff you love, keep it!

5. simon ess

simon ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +596
    Hi
    I'm totally and utterly biased, but - look for a used Sugden A21.

I've not much experience of hifi really, but this still totally blows me away. I'm in love!

Depending on the size of your room, you may need fairly efficient speakers.

Just a thought.

6. sparky1

sparky1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    thanks little chap, ive heard good stuff about sugden, my MF's sounded very valve like so might be a good match there

Mark

7. steveledzep

steveledzep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Can't help but agree with Mr Pig. 40 years ago I had a Cambridge P40 amp (that's when they made good kit, huge transformer in it's day), I then went to an Audiolab 8000A Mk II (phonos not din, grey coloured). Used Michell Syncro/RB300/MC20Super with Castle Avons and Mission DAD5 CD player with separate DAC5. I was persuaded by SWMBO that a more lifestyle system would be better. CD and Amp tucked away under TV instead of Target rack. Sold my kit on ebay. On the strength of reviews, bought CA 640A and 640C. Big mistake !! Mr P refers in another thread to Richer Sounds selling cheap boxes from previously well regarded marques. I have to admit, I wasn't spinning vinyl much and neither was I listening to much music. That's why SWMBO managed to persuade me. However, once my kit was gone, I really missed it. The guy who bought my Syncro was local and made me an offer for my vinyl which I am so pleased I refused. I think that I knew then that I may be making a mistake so hung on to the vinyl.
    Within 12 months I had sold the CA640A, replacing with a 8000A MkIII and purchasing a Roksan Xerxes Turntable. I had credible sound again !! I changed the 8000A for a MF A3 and was so impressed, that when I had the opportunity I went for a MF A3.2 which I still use today. The Castles have since gone, replaced with Quad 22L2's.
    You've been used to MF monoblocs (far superior to my Audiolab) no wonder you couldn't go to a CA integrated.

I listen to music most of the time now. Very selective what tv I watch.

Hope my anecdote helps you.

8. Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Well it just serves you right for listening to her! ;0) Would she listen to you if you told her to give up some hobby of hers?

My wife really likes the Hi-Fi we have now but there were times when I just had to say 'well I'm doing it'. She didn't like Linn Kans for instance, I went through three pairs! She said 'You can't do that just to get a pair of speakers' when I proposed a 1200-mile round trip, including an overnight in a hotel, to buy a pair of rosewood Isobariks. She was wrong about that as well.

I use Mana. Have you seen Mana!? If you wanted to design a Hi-Fi product that deliberately upset domestic harmony as much as possible Mana would be a pretty good try. I have sixteen bits of it and getting another four soon :0)

Let her pick the curtains, the holiday, the car or whatever else you like but not the Hi-Fi! Sacrilege ;0)

9. sparky1

sparky1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    thats the spirit Mr P, ;)

thanks for the input tho fellas appreciate it, the CA is better now ive changed the IC's from Nordost back to some litz lots more detail but still lacks the in ya face vocals i like :confused:

What you think of the Roksan Kandy K2 ?
    would that be any better ?

Mark

10. steveledzep

steveledzep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56

11. hobbysta

hobbysta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sound is difficult matter to talk about, although you are getting 5 years warranty with Roksan unit. So, worth to give it a ago when you are away for listening session.

12. steveledzep

steveledzep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Don't know what happened before, my text went missing. I'll get the hang of this one day.

13. Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Of course. Sold a few things I wish I'd kept.

Just a tad.

And some cool stuff you got too. The Focus 1 is such a cool design, so of its time yet timeless, if that doesn't sound stupid? That'll still draw admiration today as well as sounding great.

I'm exactly the same. I buy Hi-Fi for the kids and rooms around the house in the same way. My eldest son had a separates system when he was four, including a record player! Most kids of that age, forget it, but he's always been careful with things. He has an LP12 now!

I always look for local stuff on eBay and on Gumtree etc and get some great bargains. It's a lot of fun as there's no pressure, which is how it should be.