Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help with installation

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by jorton, May 23, 2005.

1. jorton

jorton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Going to attempt to install my plasma on the living room wall. Got a good idea of what is required but wondering how to actually channel the wires down the brick wall and then replaster over them, do I need to cover the wires first? To be honest I don't know how I'm going to achieve it, probably be with a chissel and hammer.

My question is do any of you have a guide or advice I could use to achieve this?

All suggestions / help appreciated.

Also if I drop the plasma on the floor or it falls of the wall does home insurance cover this under accidental damage, any experiances?

Cheers

2. DWF

DWF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OMG! okay set the drill down and step away from the TV! :suicide:

3. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    From what I have seen with other people's installs, you can hire a tool to channel into the walls. When you have created these channels, get some trunking and set it into the channels and then feed the wires through the trunking. Then, if you know what you are doing, plaster over the trunking or get someone else to do it.

By putting the cables in trunking and plastering over it, you will keep the cables clean and dry and be left with a smooth finish after replastering.

Not sure about the home insurance question. I do know that you need to ensure that items over a certain value are declared on your policy.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    some insurers wont cover DIY installation check first!

5. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,625
    You can hire a SDS drill and a channel tool, very messy. You are best to make a false wall with plasterbiard if it is poss.
    I am doing mine next month hopefully, I have a fireplace with a plasterboard wall, but I don't think it is deep enough so may have to channel it myself.
    Metal trunking is better than plastic if you are plastering over it as plastic may not last as long.
    Remember to leave space for an extra cable if need be, HDMI etc.
    I should be posting my project soon, watch this space.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Messy is not the word. We have a chasing machine, it can dig a 2" deep 1.5" wide slot into any substrate, it basically 'vapourises' the plaster/brick to do this, chucks it out as dust into the room. If the chase is a short one, a hammer and cold chisel is less messy, though very hard work. A couple of feet will be OK, we have the machine cos we often have to chase 25-50 feet! Cover the wires if there is room in your chase, over many years the plaster will eat into them if not. (10-15 years we are talking)
    As to mounting a wall bracket, it takes me 40mins including making sure it's absolutely level. If you know what to do with a drill and rawlplugs, and know which are suitable for your wall, it will be fine. You don't need anything butch in the way of a drill, we use Bosch 24v battery drills always, never mains powered. A 42" weighs 28Kg, that's not much. Plenty of pictures and mirror weigh more, and even cost more these days! I guess we all just run a bit scared of the technology. I'm just blase now, something like 1000 mounts later.

7. minisisme

minisisme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Nothing Butch ehh? a 24V Bosch is a butch drill! Is it a SDS Drill ?
    I used to install and also used 24V SDS mainly because if your doing first fix on new builds you are not allowed 240V by a lot of site managers only 110v or cordless.
    SDS cordless are a amazing compared to standard hammer drills especially if you drill holes in masonary of 10mm or more.

A standard 24v bosch drill is about £130 (screwfix) a SDS cordless is about £300
    (screw fix)I would call those butch.I have tried lesser brands and they perform like Tiny plasmas that why i chose Bosch or De Walt.

Before you do anything read up if you dont have a copy buy one of these
    [​IMG]

In the Collins complete guide it tells you about wiring regulations,what you should do yourself and when you should get a expert in.It tells you the tools you need and how to use them ,Plastering techniques etc..at about £15.00 its a bargain.

Remember the one thing you have as a DIY'er is Time dont rush the job take your time .As an ex installer you are under great pressure to complete.At home the only time restriction is your own impatience to see your plasma up!

If you dont know what your doing or are not confident ,and you need to buy a drill and plastering tools and a chaser it might be cheaper to get someone in!!If they drop it then their insurance would cover it!

9. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    oo-er ;)

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    No, mate that's just the plasmas. Enquirer, perhaps we ought to ask for a tools forum. BTW screwfix had an offer on the Bosch, £99. Don't know if it's still on, but it's a bargain.

11. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £100 on a Drill if you have to buy,plastering tools and a chaser ,plasma bracket fixings,trunking ,cable pipe detector,etc not far off the price of one of your installs is it MAW?

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Strange the way economics work out isn't it?

13. tetrarch

tetrarch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    With the chisel and hammer route, one effort saving trick is to chase out the
    mortar between bricks. Of course this works great for horizontal runs, but vertically will save effort because you'll only have to chisel out half the distance. On my install I have three chunky cables plus speaker cables and power all in a space that is 2" deep and about 5/8" high.

Regards

Tet