1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with inputs..

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by PardonTheWait, Apr 30, 2003.

1. PardonTheWait

PardonTheWait

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as AV amps go, is there a most common type of video input? I glean as much knowledge as I can from reading and listening and so forth, but you can't just get experience like that, and that's where I fall down. I see pictures of the inputs on amplifiers tending to be composite video and audio, and digitial audio.. Are there many amplifiers with RGB scart inputs? Another question, I don't have a lot of money, and am upgrading part by part on the cheap. Is the video switching on < £300 amps up to much, generally? I'm a gamer with plenty of consoles to run, although I've decided to cut it down to just the Xbox and Gamecube. It would be nice and convenient to just run everything through the receiver, but if the picture is tat, I'll run audio through an amp and video straight to the scarts on my TV. Any ideas? I know this is a hideously vague question, but any advice would be much appreciated!

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,559
    i've only ever seen on amp with a RGB scart, and that was the Marantz 9200 i think it was, bit of a beast.

Amps don't usually have scart connections for a number of reasons.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    on sub £300 amps s-video is the best your going to get some higher end amps have componet video.scart are great for TV's but not for much else!

4. PardonTheWait

PardonTheWait

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I can forget video inputs, and concentrate on what it sounds like, and whether I can afford it. Weight off my mind, really...
    Cheers

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If you run out of scarts a Quatttro or quintro will sort you out see keene.co.uk or Lektropacks.co.uk As for amps What you lookin at?

6. PardonTheWait

PardonTheWait

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be completely honest, I haven't much of a clue so far.
    Currently I'm using a grunding all in one home cinema thing, but it's a cheapo one to use until I can upgrade piece by piece. I'm thinking a tosh sd-200e as a player, they seem highly thought of, especially for the money. As for amps, I'm pretty clueless right now. The only things deciding my purchase, apart from sound and price, are that I want pro logic 2 and dolby digital, and enough inputs. I want the PLII for gamecube games, seeing as it has no digital out, the games are encoded in stereo or PLII. There's a few amps from richersounds tickling my fancy, but I'm trying not to fantasize too much until I've got the money. I don't want to get too excited about offers that will be gone when the funds have arrived. Any suggestions?

Edit : I've been looking at the panasonic SAHE70 , but I'm thinking maybe I should spend a bit more. I'll probably give it a listen when the time comes to buy

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Good idea to wait! i would say look at the Yammaha amp very good for the mony, I should have bought one!also keep an eye on the classifeds aMarrantz sr4200 has just gone for £100 and a Yam (forgot the model) is going for £135 way cheaper than the retailers and both had some warranty left! Good place for cables and speakers!!!! I should have wait instead a splurged and got kit I'm not happy with!