Help With Initial Settings For MS309 Sub

Shared

Hi Folks. I was wondering if some kind soul could help me out with the basic settings for a MS309 Sub. Just a rough starting point for the various knobs etc is all i'm after.

It's being used with a Denon avr1906, Toshiba 350e, TDL floorstanding fronts, TDL centre, and Eltax BP2 rears. The TDL's are quite bassy, though musically a bit dissapointing so their days are numbered.

I'm chucking my g/friend out for the day on Friday so i can sort it out without distraction :clap: so any advice before then would be gratefully accepted.

Ps: Room is approx 5 X 4 Metres. I'm none to sure about what the "variable notch filter" does, the manual is vague to say the least.

Cheers, take care.
Phil.

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
My advice is chuck her out, full stop. When you start to lay out ever increasing amounts of cash on this hobby, you'll only have to justify it to yourself. Much easier. Run my boy, while you still can.

Russell

Shared

lmfao !! I knew i'd get good advice here :thumbsup: Before i proceed to chuckin her out though, i'll have to percevere (sp) with showing her just how cheap good quality sub cables really are, and how much her b/friend deserves one :devil:

Beobloke

shared4 said:
Hi Folks. I was wondering if some kind soul could help me out with the basic settings for a MS309 Sub. Just a rough starting point for the various knobs etc is all i'm after.
(1) Set crossover frequency at maximum and use your reciever's inbuilt LFE filter to do the job.

(2) Start with volume at minimum, play some music with a decent bassline and gradually increase volume until you can just hear the sub from your listening position - if it dominates then it's too loud (shame really - the girlfriend could have helped with this if you hadn't banished her.......:devil: )

(3) Don't worry about the notch filter for the time being until you have invested in an SPL meter.

Shared

Cheers Beobloke :smashin: Thanks for taking the time to reply, at least now I have a starting point, I shall just switch the notch filter off altogether.

Take Care.
Phil.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Do try and get a SPL though.
If you have a boom similar to the one that I had in my room, the difference once the notch filter was set is startling.
Well worth the £25, IMO.

Shared

Thanks Badger :) Your inputs greatly recieved, and following your post i read the sticky by Nimby on using one, i need to re-read it when i have more time (and less distractions), i've only set it up roughly and havn't yet had the chance to give it the attention it needs, and as its my first sub, its all new to me so i'm still in the experimental stage with it.

Once it's in what i feel is the best location for it i will look at getting an SPL meter, doubtless there'll be more questions from me on this forum when i do lol.

Its great to know that people on here can give me pointers and suggest things i wouldnt have thought of, and relate their experiences, and i'm grateful for those that have done :thumbsup:

Cheers, Take Care.Phil