Help with iCloud/new device query

Flashy

I’ll try to keep this as simple as possible…

My dad wants an iPhone. He already has an iPad but it’s only my mum who uses it – for games, Safari and iMessage mainly. She doesn’t want to lose any apps/games and progress in them.

He wants to relinquish the iPad and just use the new iPhone but after speaking to Apple is a bit confused. I think it’ll be fine but am I right? Would this achieve it?
  1. Save all photos on iPad to PC (just in case)
  2. Set up new iPhone with his Apple ID
  3. Remove his Apple ID from iPad
  4. Add my mum’s Apple ID to iPad
  5. Change App Store account to my dad’s Apple ID email so apps continue to receive updates etc
Would that do it? She accepts she’ll lose current iMessages. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

DavidG1

You can only have one Apple ID on an iPhone or iPad. She will probably lose her saved games and progress on the iPad, as basically you would be creating a new account on the iPad for your Mum. Once your Dad signs out of the iPad and your Mum signs in all his account settings/games will lost. Your Mum would need to download the games again and probably start afresh unless the game itself allows for individual logins. If you can log into the apple store under a different account than the ID on the iPad you might be able to retrieve the saved games not sure on that one.

Flashy

You can only have one Apple ID on an iPhone or iPad. She will probably lose her saved games and progress on the iPad, as basically you would be creating a new account on the iPad for your Mum. Once your Dad signs out of the iPad and your Mum signs in all his account settings/games will lost. Your Mum would need to download the games again and probably start afresh unless the game itself allows for individual logins
Thanks. I know you can only have one Apple ID but you can certainly have a different account for the App Store – I know because my wife has that.

I think this is going to be a case of try it and hope for the best.

iamsludge

I’ve had a few ipads/iphones in the past and have several times handed them down to my son after I got a new one. I typically backup the device and then log out of my icloud account and log in using his with no issue.

The main things I can think that could cause you an issue is game center accounts and 3rd party accounts that are also tied to the icloud account. I had exactly this issue once when I let my son use my iPad for a game and he made lots of progress using my iPad and we couldn’t obviously transfer that progress to his account.

If an app needs updating you might have to switch back, update the app and then switch back again.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom