HELP with Humax HDR - lose connection HDMI signal to tv?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Wise Bat, Jan 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Wise Bat

Wise Bat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi,

I have just hooked up my Humax HDR and its all turned in but my signal from the Humax hdmi slot to my TV dvi keeps cutting out. Its flashing from a tv image to a static image (constantly). It will even do it when on the setup menu aswell as tv watching! Please help :lease: I no with cables work fine.

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    What TV do you own, Make and Model. Is the DVI slot HDCP compliant?

3. Wise Bat

Wise Bat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Its a Hyundai Imagequest Q321. Just looking now to see if its HDCP as don't know what that means.

4. Wise Bat

Wise Bat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Yes it's HDCP compliant.

5. mikezoe

mikezoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have had this happen a couple of times and simply removed the HMDI lead (supplied with the pvr) and replaced it. The supplied lead may not be high quality or contacts may have dust on them. Try a new lead if it continues.

6. Wise Bat

Wise Bat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi i have tried a few leads now HDMI to DVI with my tv. Still no luck, until I disabled the HDCP setting but then doing this I can watch SD channels but not BBC HD channel as it still cuts signal out on that channel.

Humax where sooooo helpful when i phoned :mad: fobbed me off say that my TV is s:eek:t nothing we can do to help and wont update software for every tv. Maplin say its the box fault. Don't want t buy new TV just to watch freesat. Will have t get refund at this rate.

7. GEEloc

GEEloc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having the same issue with my Humax, and I am running it on scart cable, so the issue isn't anything to do with dust on the HDMI cable points.

Flicking to the HD BBC channel, the image runs for about 5 - 10 seconds and then cuts out, leaving me with just sound.

8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    The BBC deliberately disable RGB scart output during HD broadcasts leaving only HD on the HDMI and SD composite only on the scart so your problem is not the same as the OP. The OP is having HDCP hdmi handshake problems. You can watch BBC HD using RGB scart by switching to non freesat mode turn off and on again. BBC HD will now output RGB from the scart but it's not in HD. Only component, hdmi or dvi connections can carry HD video.

9. GEEloc

GEEloc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick response, Graham.

Am running through scart at the moment as can't get HDMI connection to work, so obviously my workaround is creating issues of its own.

10. Wise Bat

Wise Bat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22

Well since posting my problem (will be the same for you I guess too) the issue is all down to the tv with handshake issues with the HDCP chip built in on the HDMI / DVI ports. If your tv like me is over 3 years old, back when HD Tv's were only just getting onto the everyday market they made some tv's with what they throught would be the correct High Def Copy Protection signal chip for future HD software. It was for a while! But then they final decided on a new processor chip which makes alot of HD stuff only veiwable over HDMI now, plus also resulting in a few TV not being compat with HD receivers / blu ray player etc like ours now! :thumbsdow Should never of put the tv's on the market for sale untill finalized.

Only way around this is a Chip upgrade with the manufact or HD fury option to bypass HDCP.

11. GEEloc

GEEloc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Wise Bat

I called the nice people on the Aquos helpline to check whether this may be an issue. Apparently just over the last few days a number of customers have called in with a similar issue: when plugging their new Humax boxes in to Sharp TVs of a similar vintage to mine (the Sharp man wasn't specific on exactly what models and dates) the users get an HDCP error message.

Apparently Sharp have already requested Humax boxes to test on their range of models and I should receive a call back when a solution is found. I'm not holding my breath - I know how long testing and software update cycles can take, but at least that is some kind of result.

Only one nagging doubt: I don't get an HDCP error, just a blank screen.

12. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    You don't actually get an on screen error as the hdr can't talk to the TV to generate a picture. Usual symptom is a green or blue screen. You are not alone, there are loads of postings from hdr owners with similar problems, surprisingly from owners of mainstream TV's like Panasonic, Toshiba and Samsung :eek:

13. ChelseaGirl

ChelseaGirl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    WiseBat I have exactly the same issue.
    Q321 and Humax box, DVi\HDMI and handshaking problem.

I tested the Humax box with my PC screen and it worked fine, so not a problem with my cable or DVI\HDMI convertor\connector.

I know that there was a problem with the Q321 and Sky (not quite sure what the rproblem was), for which you could send you TV to Novatech (even if you hand't bought it there) to update it.

I have seen mention of updating the firmware on the Q321, but haven't come accross anything on any forums where someone has applied it, and that it has fixed this issue.

14. Johnkg

Johnkg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Just for the record, I'm getting the same prob with my A321 (DVI) which was updated for HDCP way back. Well I did return it when I bought it for that reason. PS3 works fine through HDMI->DVI but the Foxsat alternates between picture and snow on setup (this is using the same lead).

I didn't bother progressing past setup; may try again

15. ChelseaGirl

ChelseaGirl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If a TV is sold with the HD Ready Logo it ahould fit the following critiera:

[​IMG] EICTA HD Ready Logo means that the TV/display is ready to display an HD picture from an external HD source, such as a Blu-Ray player, Playstation 3 or Sky HD. Display with a minimum 720 physical lines in 16:9 aspect ratio and DVI or HDMI inputs which supports HDCP (copy protection).
    It must accept both 720p50 and 1080i25 sources.
    link DTG :: Consumer :: High Definition

Could we claim that the TV is not fit for the purpose, and has broken the HD Ready compliance?

Looking at humax site software download found this:

Software Version: HZPTSF 1.00.10

Release Notes:
    - DVI limitation resolved (1080i, 720p, 576p, 576i now available for HDMI > DVI connections)
    - Screen Ratio and Picture Formats included for:

16:9-Widescreen
    Auto
    4:3 pillar box
    14:9 Pillar box
    16:9 Centre Cut Out
    Anamorphic
    Note: Auto option will display picture format correctly if the TV (HDMI connection) set supports AVInfo frame
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

4:3-Traditional
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    16:9 Letterbox
    14:9 Letterbox
    Centre Cut Out
    Auto

- Lip-Sync improvements
    - Automatic services/channel update support
    - 4 Digit channel numbers displayed correctly
    - Subtitle improvements
    - Postcode Verification Improvements
    - Interactive Engine Improvements
    [/FONT]

All I have to do now it try and workout if this software update has been applied.

16. Johnkg

Johnkg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Cheers ChelseaGirl, interesting info. Looks like I'm on HPRSFCI 1.00.03 and the auto update doesn't seem to want to update.

Will have a play...

17. Johnkg

Johnkg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Right, no luck with a s/w update I don't think they are broadcasting at the mo.

I managed to get BBC HD to work for about 30 seconds before the snow-picture-snow effect kicked in again. This was achieved by clicking on Menu->Diagnostics which for some reason stopped the snow.

Assume the s/w version does not handshake with the Hyundai properly. I've emailed Humax...

18. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    Your firmware is the latest and in fact it's only on newer hdr's as the last transmitted update is 1.00.02. As soon as Humax release a OTA update it will be widely reported on all the forums. You won't have to look for it it will automatically happen.

19. Grinnders

Grinnders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not sure If have the same problem or not... my HDMI out to HDMI in (Hitachi 42PD7200) has gone to green screen of death. Tried all sorts of things and not working. Borrowed my HDMI out to DVI in from the Denon DVD 1920 and it works..... It could be the HDMI cable, that I can't test untl tomorrow... which would be a shame as its a QED and only as old as the box (i.e. November 08)

I've tried the Automatic Updates and it says new software is not found. The manual update (on default settings) the same.

According to the diagnostics it looks like I'm way behind on release levels, HPRSFC1 1.00.02 but I cannot seem to get it to recognise the need for an updae. Doh!

Any ideas?

20. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    You have the latest firmware (1.03 only comes with newer hdr's and has never been broadcast). The hdr seems very fussy about which hdmi/dvi ports it will hdcp handshake with

21. Grinnders

Grinnders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ok. thanks Graham. After more research it is apparent that the HDMI port on the Hitachi has gone. I briefly got it operating last night for about 10 seconds before it returned to green screen of death and it never returned. It is possible that the Humax has cased the malfunction, as HDMI wasn't used prior to the Humax (Denon1920 was always on DVI). The green screen was not unusual before but usually I could change channel or power off/on and it would work.

I have tried a Denon1920 DVD HDMI and Sony DVD recorder HDMI (upscalers not 1080p) and neither gave any results... not even a green screen. I also tried 2 different HDMI cables no change. I moved the Humax and plugged into a Samsung 26" LCD (2008 model) HDMI port and it worked first time.

I'm going to move my enquiries to the Plasma TV forum, but I'm just registering the possibility that incapabilities of the Humax HDMI driver with older "HD" TVs (i.e. mine only runs to 720p/1080i) may be the cause of GREEN SCREEN OF DEATH.

22. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    My HDR worked fine with a HD ready 1320 x 768 Sony HD ready display.

23. Grinnders

Grinnders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So did mine for 6 months.:(

I found someone else on this forum that has suffered similar HDMI handsake problem with this TV.

I'm looking at the tactical implementation on an HDMI switcher (i've already got an HDMI to DVI cable).

Any recommendations. I only need a 2 into 1. Trying to assess if I'd appreciate the benefit of this £50 one

http://www.hdcable.co.uk/switch-2-input-infinius.html

over this £25 one.

http://www.hdcable.co.uk/hdmi/hdmi-switchers-splitters/switchers/auto-switch-2-pro2.html

Any recommendations?

Last edited: May 6, 2009