• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help with HTPC software for newb

whitts1

Standard Member
Hi

This is my first post so sorry if I sound a bit dumb.

I have had an old PC for a while that I turned into a music jukebox. I have stored all of my MP3s on it and use album player to select and play albums. This all works great.

I want to expand the PC so that I can now store all of my dvds on the harddrive and play them through the PC. I am going to use DVD shrink to remove extras etc.

My idea is to make my own front end programme which will launch various programmes depending on what I want to do. I have a touch screen monitor which will act as a remote control.

My problem is that I have bought a Terratec 5.1 Fun soundcard with optical out to run the sound to my 5.1 amp. The only programme I have found that will pass thru the audio for true 5.1 is power dvd 4. I would prefer to use theater tec if anyone knows a way - I have tried the AC3 filter which didn't work. I have also tried MCE and have the same probelm with the audio.

What I would like to do is have a programme that will scan the hard drive for DVDs and allow me to download info / cover art to make a library. I know there are loads of programmes that do this but I haven't found any that I can use to locate the film and launch it using an external dvd player (power dvd 4). The only one close is DVD Lobby but there is no trial and I do not want to buy something until I know it fits.

Does any one have any suggestions for the software that would suit this.

Thanks for your help

whitts1

Standard Member
Right I think I have come up with a make do solution but this has thrown up a further problem.

My solution was to design a fairly simply spreadsheet where i enter details of each dvd on my harddrive. I add a picture to the description then make a hyperlink to the Video_Ts file. If I use powerdvd 6 this hyperlink launches the whole film which is exatly what I want.

My problem is that powerdvd 6 will not play through the sp/dif output of my terratec 5.1 card.

On the other hand powerdvd 4 will play through sp/dif output no problems but hyperlinking to the Video_Ts file does not launch the film.

Does anyone have any ideas to resolve either of the above two problems.

Please help this is driving me insane! - So close yet so far!!

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom