1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with how to - Connecting PC to 32" widescreen TV

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ukgebe2004, Dec 28, 2004.

1. ukgebe2004

ukgebe2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although I know PC stuff quite well, this whole HTPC thing is doing my head in.
    I've read many posts on here and have tried to follow advise in getting my own HTPC system connected to a 32" widescreen tv with mixed results - ie - I can't get my resolution set for widescreen viewing
    My system
    celeron 2ghz
    512mb ram
    Radeon 9200SE VIVO
    Audigy 2
    TV = Sony K32FX68

I connect using a RCA to scart cable.
    I'm unable to get my dvd's showing in true widescreen. I can get my desktop set to 800x600, which just stretches everything to fit. I've tried using powerstrip and a few of the custom resolutions such as 720x480, 848x480, but all that happens then is that it fits a bit on the tele, and then rest is offscreen, I can then use the mouse and scroll round the display which then shows the rest on the tele ( hope that makes sense ! )
    I've checked my sony manual and the sony website but it's not clear what resolutions this TV supports

Can someone either point me to a place/guide that will explain this properly so that I'll know what to configure, or can someone offer some advise ?
    MUCH appreciated

2. Iycanthropy

Iycanthropy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the exact same problem, tried everything i know.... im about to resort to buying one of them evil things called a dvd player if i can't fix this. Did you ever find a solution?

3. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    If you do insist on using a RCA to scart cable you a limited to the standard 4:3 resolutions supported by the card, being 800x600 or 1024x768. You may be able to add support for standard PAL resolution though.

For widescreen video you have two options.

1) Use the zoom function of the TV to expeand the widescreen image to fit the screen.

2) Use a media player that allows you to adjust the aspect ratio. My personal recommendation is zoomplayer , but you can use free software such as Media Player Classic. Simply selecting the correct aspect ration will adjust the image to give you a true widescreen image.

The best solution for Radeon to TV connection is definately the RGB Scart cable which will allow you to set a true widescreen desktop resolution for maximum complatibility, quality and ease.

4. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,550
    So just to cover all the bases (and I'm sure if this was possible then it would've already been done or suggested), what about a normal cable with s-vid at one end and SCART the other?

My S-vid output from my pc to the telly was just like normal low quality s-vid...

5. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    shodan the s-video output is still limited by the resolutions supported by the TV chip on the card so you would face the same issues.

RGB scart output is definately the way to go IMHO.