Help with horrendous interference needed

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by sticklebrick, Feb 11, 2009.

1. sticklebrick

sticklebrick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have freeview installed, with a 52 element high gain aerial in my loft.

Unfortuantely my local council will not allow external fixings such as aerials/sky dish etc on my property as it is a listed building in a conservation area, so the loft is my only option.

I have the aerial fitted as high as possible, in my loft, and have used a dvb signal finder to point it towards the strongest signal, which for some reason, IS NOT Bilsdale, the closest transmitter, I presume it is pointing towards Pontop Pike (i think that is corect spelling).
    my postcode is DL3 7JR.

However, I am on the old Great North Road (the old A1), which is a very busy thoroughfare with high traffic volumes, and also only 75/100yds from a BT exchange who's roof is bristling with all manner of antennae for mobile phones etc, also 5 other cellular masts within a mile.

As you can imagine, I am suffering from hellish interference, and only on a day with really really good atmospherics, can I get film4 etc, I had film4 about 4 days ago on cahnnel 15, now I cannot get it at all. But even when I can get film4 (which is about the best channel on freeview) EVERY 5/6 seconds without fail, i get interference.

This clockwork interference I cannot figure out, the only idea I have is could it be my neighbour's network router when it broadcasts it's SSID?

I have a variable (0-20db) attenuator fitted, and this weekend will be replacing the crappy standard coax that came with the aerial with PF100.

I have tried signal booster to no avail, all it does is amplify the interference.

After I have fitted the pf100 (cai approved) coax, is there anything else (barring buying all my neighbours houses in order to shut all their electrics down, and digging up the road 50yds either side of my house) I can do to eliminate as much interference as possible?

Jay

2. scribbler101

scribbler101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    There is, of course, the option of just fitting your aerial/dish and seeing if anyone notices/complains.

Per UK digital TV reception predictor you have a poor signal for a loft aerial; and your two transmitter possibilities need different aerial groups, so if you have a CD or a K matters. Or it could be the effect of the loft - or BT's kit in the way?

I would suggest consulting a local fitter - for his expertise. And consider complainig about the interference,

3. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    I have tried signal booster to no avail, all it does is amplify the interference.

Well if it is fitted down by the TV that is all you will get. Can you fit within 1 metre of the aerial, and as others have stated put the aerial on the side of the house as BT seem to have set a presidence in your area. You are entitled to TV viewing.

4. radioredcat

radioredcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    The only thing i can think of putting it on a pole at the back of the so it can see just over the roof but can,t be seen from the road.
    One reason for pontop pike being the strongest is maybe your aerial might be looking through nextdoors loft.
    Attenuating the signal is not really going to help you as much tv signal as possible to reduce the effect of the interference,Amplifiers will probibly in this case make things worse.

andy

5. sticklebrick

sticklebrick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, thanks for all the replies :thumbsup:

unfortunately I cannot just put the aerial on the wall/roof, as although the BT exchange has lots of antennae on their roof, they are actually situated in the street that runs parallel to my street, and not subject to the red tape that I am subject to.

However, good news guys, I scoured the town for some decent cable - for such a large town, I am shocked that NOWHERE sells it by the metre or in 10 metre spools. I had to settle for a 25metre extension kit from B&Q, which had the cable I was looking for - CAI approved PF100.

.....Of which I only used 9 metres lmfaoo

I fitted it this afternoon, and - wow!!

Problem seems to be solved :D I suddenly have ALL channels and the only one that has interference is Virgin 1, and that is so infrequent that it doesnt even matter!

I dont even need the attenuator anymore :clap: so now I have 2 spare attenuators (0-20db 1xcoax, 1x f-connector) and 16m of PF100 - any takers??? lol

Thanks again for the replies and suggestions guys :thumbsup:

one lesson learned for me :D :lesson: never use the cable that comes with your aerial!!! buy GOOD cable instead!! :lesson:

:smashin:

6. radioredcat

radioredcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I'm glad you have sorted it and thanks for letting us know.
    You should always use good satellite grade coax as it's the root cause of most problems.

anyway good luck.

andy