1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with home theater in a box.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by av kid, Jan 1, 2003.

1. av kid

av kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey everyone! I am new to the boards and have a question. If you are a teenager who wants a decent sound system in his room to enhance his gaming, music, and DVD experience, but doesn't have a lot of dough to spend, what should he get? I have had my eye on the Onkyo HTS-650 system. I like it, but is it worth it to wait another year to get something more expensive( consider that I really want something fast)? I went to a couple local stores today that sell super high-end stuff and I got a few opinions. One store sells Onkyo and said thier reputation is pretty great, the other said that Onkyo is unreliable and I should go with an $800 Denon set. ( they had a bunch of Denon stuff, but no Onkyo)

Bottomline: just give me some opinions and help me decide on a system no higher than $1000. Remember that it's just for my room, not a high-priced home theater. It 's just to go with a 27" tv and an xbox.

Thanks and Happy New Year!:)

2. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi av kid and happy new year.

I can only comment on my own experience with an Onkyo av receiver TXDS575 which is petrolhead's old one. I have had no problems with it over the last 4 months or so. It is powerful and both excellent with HC or music.

My only criticism is being unable to set the delay distances independently but apart from that it is great. I recently went into my local sevenoaks which stocks quite a big range of Onkyo equipment and they rate it highly for performance, reliability and quality.

Hope this helps in some small way.

7ThGuest