help with home entertainment pc!!

revsynyster

Standard Member
Reaction score
hello everyone this is my very first post, i have browsed the forums for a while now but never joined but have hit a snag with what i want to do. basically i want the internet on my tv,

i have a 42" LG tv with an Onkyo TX SR507 AV receiver

i have been looking at stand alone towers ect. but i just cant get my head around what i need. like i said i just want the internet on my tv in 1080p so i can download and watch films and just generally browse the web. i was looking at this:
Acer Aspire Revo Desktop PC - Desktops at Ebuyer

would this do what i want it to? it has a hdmi port so i assume it will be in hd? and as its just going to be used on the internet i dont need anything amazing, any help would be appriciated so much so if anyone knows anything better i can buy or anytthing else i can do that wouuld be great, also if i did get a stand alone pc would it just connect through my amp using hdmi? thanks alot :)

This is the single core CPU model, you will find issue of streaming intensive 1080p HD to it, I would recommend spending the bit extra and get the R3610 model with the dual core ION cpu.

The other option for a standalone like that, which I just picked up this week and am loving is the ASRock ION 330.

Either one you will be impressed and happy with guaranteed!

excellent thanks for the fast reply, the only thing im not understanding is, are these just computers and then i will be using my tv as a monitor? also do these comes with windows on it? ie vista or xp ect. sorry not very good with computers.

excellent thanks for the fast reply, the only thing im not understanding is, are these just computers and then i will be using my tv as a monitor? also do these comes with windows on it? ie vista or xp ect. sorry not very good with computers.

Yes they are computers in a small little box and you will use your TV as the monitor :).

Some come with software pre-installed, but you wont need it all depending on what you plan to run for media software.

I prefer XBMC Live, which is a XBMC version with a custom Linux build, you can download a free ISO, burn it to CD/DVD, reboot your new machine and it pretty much does the rest for you. :)

XBMC interface is fantastic as well, check it out over at XBMC

sorry to sound stupid but i really dont know what you just said, lol, the one you suggested instead the acer revo r3610, thats comes with windows 7 pre installed i think:

Acer Aspire Revo R3610 Desktop PC - Desktops at Ebuyer

so if i got the r3610 and a wireless keyboard i could simply plug this into my amp via hdmi and i will be able to browse the web and watch 1080p films with 5.1 from the comfort of my sofa?

sorry to sound stupid but i really dont know what you just said, lol, the one you suggested instead the acer revo r3610, thats comes with windows 7 pre installed i think:

Acer Aspire Revo R3610 Desktop PC - Desktops at Ebuyer

so if i got the r3610 and a wireless keyboard i could simply plug this into my amp via hdmi and i will be able to browse the web and watch 1080p films with 5.1 from the comfort of my sofa?

Thats absolutely correct. :clap:

However I dont have Windows or anything of the sort installed on my HTPC, it's strictly XBMC and is only used as a Media Center.

If you look at a lot of threads through here, you will see the different ways others are setting up. It all depends on what you want out of it.

Can highly recommend the R3610. Personally, I'm a windows ludite so would go with Windows 7 that includes their latest version of media centre.

Chris

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom