1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with "home cinema"

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by chaplic, Mar 11, 2005.

1. chaplic

chaplic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello All

I have a rather nice Sagem 50" telly hooked up to a fairly basic philips all-in-one hifi box (you know the type, 3cd autochanger, tape and radio). It supports Dolby pro logic, and I have two rear speakers (I believe they output the same sound) and a center and left and right.

When I'm watching sky, firstly the center speaker is very quiet no matter how I fiddle with the settings (so I can hear the environment but the actors are whispering!). Also the sound coming out of it is 'squelchy'. Not a great discription I know, it's most noticable with dialog but I am guessing it's some kind of decoding problem?

The telly is connected to the hifi via phono outputs.

The hifi has a mode to synthesize the centre speaker thru the left and rights, which is what I do as it sounds better then the 'proper setup'

Have I missed something fundamental, or is the system just crap ?

Assuming the latter, depending on the financial controller Id love to replace it with a dedicated amp and decent speaker setup, is it feasible to do this in two stages, i,e buy a new amp, hook it up to the exisiting speakers then buy speakers later ? Any reccomendations for someone who isn't an audiophile but likes a nice home cinema sound setup ?

Any advice appreciated.

C.

2. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,040
    If you're going to do it in two stages, I'd recommend getting rid of the existing speakers first - they're usually the weak link in "all-in-one" systems.
    Do you know anyone who would lend you a couple of decent speakers to try this theory?