Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help with "home cinema"

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by chaplic, Mar 11, 2005.

1. chaplic

chaplic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello All

I have a rather nice Sagem 50" telly hooked up to a fairly basic philips all-in-one hifi box (you know the type, 3cd autochanger, tape and radio). It supports Dolby pro logic, and I have two rear speakers (I believe they output the same sound) and a center and left and right.

When I'm watching sky, firstly the center speaker is very quiet no matter how I fiddle with the settings (so I can hear the environment but the actors are whispering!). Also the sound coming out of it is 'squelchy'. Not a great discription I know, it's most noticable with dialog but I am guessing it's some kind of decoding problem?

The telly is connected to the hifi via phono outputs.

The hifi has a mode to synthesize the centre speaker thru the left and rights, which is what I do as it sounds better then the 'proper setup'

Have I missed something fundamental, or is the system just crap ?

Assuming the latter, depending on the financial controller Id love to replace it with a dedicated amp and decent speaker setup, is it feasible to do this in two stages, i,e buy a new amp, hook it up to the exisiting speakers then buy speakers later ? Any reccomendations for someone who isn't an audiophile but likes a nice home cinema sound setup ?

Any advice appreciated.

C.

2. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,818
    If you're going to do it in two stages, I'd recommend getting rid of the existing speakers first - they're usually the weak link in "all-in-one" systems.
    Do you know anyone who would lend you a couple of decent speakers to try this theory?