Question Help with Home Cinema Wiring

deedscali1401

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I have a 55" LED TV and a Sony Blu Ray Surround sound system, and a home theater PC.

Currently I have it wired as follows:

HTPC > AVAMP > TV

This gives me pass through on all Surround sound formats and all works 100%
Only issue is CEC doesn't work.
If I wire it like this:

HTPC > TV
+
AVAMP > TV

I get CEC support, everything works in harmony, standby, everything powers on together etc. Only issue is it wont pass through anything other than Linear PCM with 2 channels.

Does anybody have any idea what im missing? or if there is some settings I need to alter to allow it to work with both CEC and Surround sound pass through.

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:
Most (all?)TV's will not passthrough surround sound - you need to input the source via the receiver first to get surround. I have all my sources routed through my receiver, so it does all the necessary decoding/switching. The only way you can get surround the way you have yours wired would be to take a Digital output (Optical or Co-Axial) from your HTPC direct to the receiver to bypass the TV.

The only way you can get surround the way you have yours wired would be to take a Digital output (Optical or Co-Axial) from your HTPC direct to the receiver to bypass the TV.
Many htpc's have multiple HDMI connections - if so, you can send audio out of one straight to the receiver and video out of the other.

Otherwise, what @John7 says is completely correct.

Oh, some TV's pass through 5.1 via optical, but not many. Confusingly, you will find that apps that are running on the TV (say Netflix) will output in 5.1!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom