Help With - Home Cinema Budget of £2000 please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by John13, Jan 6, 2012.

1. John13

John13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am currently painting the bedroom and making decisions regarding the home cinema project in it.

The project Room and Budget

• Room size - 12' x 12'
    • Light Controlled.
    • Budget - £2000 (flexible but prefer the initial set up to be less and may add more stuff later)

Stuff I need:

• 3D projector
    • Speakers - 5.1 or 7.1 Surround set & amp or built in amp
    • Screen (can be fixed)
    • BluRay 3D
    • Freeview HD
    • Media Player
    My Idea

• HD33 (£1250) or HD300x and glasses (£1100)
    • DIY screen (£100)
    • custom Media PC with 3d bluray and HD freeview (£500)
    • 5.1 speakers and amp (£400 - £500) unless major reccomendation of a bigger budget

TOTAL £2200 cheapest without cables or extra glasses (a little over budget)

I basically need advice because there is so much to choose from, is there any specifc items in my price range that most people go for? or is everyone setting up completely different? Do many use a certain amp? Richer Sounds told me to go for a £450 amp? is this needed or will a £150 amp and £400 speakers be good? I am currently using a £100 2.1 soundsticks from my pc, on a 480p projector on a cream wall :eek:

Can anyone tell me...
    If sitting 12' away what is the largest pratical size of the screen. Is 100" 16:9 to big for this distance?
    EDIT: I know what the throw is, but what I wondered was, is a 100" screen pratical, or should I say - is it comfortable at just 12 feet away, is there any guides to how far you should be for comfort? I like the idea of the biggest possible screen, only fear was its unwatchable.

Thanks for any help, I want a projector ordered ASAP, so I can get mapping out the screen build and surrounding structure.

Regards
    John

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    See Bold

3. John13

John13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers davepuma
    Your right, I do need to build myself a HTPC, why didn't I even consider that? After all i build my pcs for work, home and friends. (about 15 in total built)

Any recommended parts? sound card? Graphics? tv card?

I have also updated orginal post to be more clear.

I am hoping to get some answers here before heading to different boards for the specifics of speakers and amps etc.

Cheers
    John

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    Head to the home cinema PC forum within the PC forum and also check out "Assassin's guide" on AVSForum.com. There is also a hardware sub forum in the XBMC forums that might be able to offer suggestions on the latest components.

Buy the best AV Receiver and speakers that you can afford. I would avoid the £150 models. They're basic and made of biscuit tins.... Try and get a listen so that you can appreciate where the extra £ is going. I agree that the £500 AV Receivers are the way to go, providing you have the funds. There are a few bargains around e.g. Denon AVR1912, Onkyo 609 etc. New models will be launched soon and trust me they will add little or nothing. The discontinued models will be fine and will last you years before you need to upgrade again (once the manufacturers think up something that we must have...)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  5. John13

John13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks davepuma.

I think I'm being tight then. Recently so much money has been spent on crappy car mishaps, and I get on with it, but buying something new, meaning not forced to spend... then I struggle. Probably why I have the funds at hand.

Just had to spend 2.5K of my s2000 Damage fix which I am waiting to get back. Luckily I hadn't sold my accord, so spent £900 to reinsure that, then last night hit a centre island that wasn't marked at all (but.. shouldn't of hit it anyway), damaged alloy, bust 2 tyres, and I have to laugh, passenger bloody seat air bag deployed splitting the leather seat. So since posting this I have just had a bill for near £500 on basically nothing!

If I didn't have BAD LUCK I wouldn't have any.

BAck to AV
    I think you right - I need to go and listen. I have heard the difference before, but that was between £150 all in one dvd player to a £500 amp speaker seperates package. The difference was mind blowing. Now I decide to up my budget from £1300 to £2000, and I am getting talked into spending £450+£450 on av amp and seperates mid range. If I said £1000 will people say spend £2000? I am kinda joking here.

But do you advise this extra budget because there is such a step up in audio quality once going over £500, but then say less a step up from 1k - 2k?

I am doing my own head in with these decisions.

TOMORROW I PROMISE, I will go to a audio shop listen to a £250 budget, £500, £750 and £1000 surely that will answer my questions. I will know then if the jump for £500 is worth it to me.

If I think of spending 1K I may just dig my old £500 jbl active sub with 5 satalites out from my parents and then buy the speakers at a later date, get it all set up (wall build and projector and screen)first.

If I remember correctly the SUB hummed on the JBL i got. So stopped using it. I was later told it could be static and it may be better earthed? any ideas?

Cheers again

6. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    Ouch. S2000 is a cracking car. I've been tempted a few times.....

7. John13

John13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well they are not to great, the way they speed up towards rounabouts and spin in circles, then home in on sign posts like a magnet is astonashing, and always some idiot driving one who can't handle it!

Some mates say it was my fault not the car, silly fools and they call me an idiot?

apart from the fault i mention they are superb! :)