Question Help with Home CCTV Build

neonplanet40

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, as I am getting my first house, all the things I have wanted to do (e.g. home cinema room etc) are coming to the forefront of my mind.

One of the things I wanted to do was also have a home cctv system. Mostly for around my premises. So I am looking some ideas if you wouldn't mind?

What I would like the system to do:

Ideally, I would like it to record around my premises during the day and night. If there is an issue (e.g. movement) then it would message me or similar and I could log in on my phone and computer to have a look). I would also like it to have good quality. E.g. FullHD.

In terms of storage for cameras: I have the Synology DS2415+ 12 Bay. It has in built software for a home CCTV system. I am unsure how good it is though? Or if it would be enough for the job?

Cameras: They would need to be decent quality (FullHD?), good images at night time (infrared?), water/weather proof and wifi enabled to ease installation? Although if it needs a power lead then an ethernet lead wouldn't add much more hassle!
I liked the idea of having one at my door which also has a screen on the inside so you can see who is calling?

Locations (so far anyway,):

Front of house (driveway), Front door (possibly one which has a screen inside to check before opening), both sides of house (including a side door to the house), back patio doors and garden including shed area.

So, any advice guys? I think my inner geek is coming out but it increases security and would be a cool thing to have!

All help and suggestions very welcome. Thank you.

Most IP cameras will do what you need. I'd not recommend WiFi cameras - decent ones will be expensive and anything less will be hit and miss.

A lot of positive feedback for Hikvision although I have Dahua (Onyx / QVIS).

The camera setup will allow you to record direct to the NAs.

Not familiar with Synology but I'm sure somebody on here will :)

We use Grandstream professional cameras, and only ever had one fail.

For door entry have look at Doorbird

You can only use two cameras with your synology nas unless you pay for extra licences (£50 per camera i think?). I've swapped from nas to a nvr box which is much better and easier to set up. Make sure you get 4mp cameras if you want good PQ.

I'm currently running a single Hikvision 4MP dome camera that is recording to my Synology NAS and I've just just another mini dome 4MP Hikvision camera to go with it. The Hikvision cameras are very good and I've been seriously impressed with the quality. They also offer a remote access solution so you can login to your cameras remotely. I have mine setup to email me photos when someone triggers the alert, currently using the line crossing setting, and then I can see the pictures and decide whether to login and view the live fee.

Once I add a third camera I will buy an NVR as the Synology system isn't great for cameras IMO and I'd rather have a dedicated NVR.

How much space do the camera videos roughly take?

I'm thinking I will probably need 4 or 5 cameras. I'm not against an nor but if I can use the synology id rather have it all on the one box.

The probably with it all in one is not only do you have a single point of failure, the Synology software isn't as good as the Hikvision.

How much would a hikvison system with around 5 cameras and an nvr cost then? Any full systems you would recommend?

How much would a hikvison system with around 5 cameras and an nvr cost then? Any full systems you would recommend?
Nvr is around £120 plus hd cost. 4mp cameras are around £110 each. Cat5e cable is cheap, 30m with connectors for £5- £10.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom