1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Hollywood+

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by DaveP, Aug 8, 2002.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not posted on this bit before so be gentle!

I cobbled together a PC with old bits and bobs left lying around. It consists of twin Pentium II 266 processors shedloads of Ram and an Asus DVD Rom drive. I blew the dust of a Hollywood+ card and put it in and downloaded the latest stuff from their site to get it working on the newly installed XP.

Everything is fine and dandy on the PC but I've lost the video to TV cable for the Hollywood card. An S-Video cable fits the socket but only produces a black and white picture on the tele'.

This occurs with region1 and region2 disks.

Does anyone know how I can wire the S-Vid cable or know where I can get a replacement splitter cable that gives composite and S-Vid connectors?

Thanks

DaveP

2. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure you should be able to connect an s-vid cable straight into the socket on the H+. You only need the cable for comp

Are you sure you have it setup tp output s-vid and not composit

Options - Settings - Configure - Advanced - Video output - TV output

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just stuck my Hollywood card in for the 1st time in yonks
    and S/Vid cable out of the card into my denon amp
    and it works a treat,

check your tv settings sometimes you have to specify s/vid or composite

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, ISTR that I used an s-vid cable on it's own before with no problem so I think you are right.

I checked the settings but the option to change from comp to s-vid is greyed out.

I'm using windows xp!

Cheers

DaveP

5. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It could be a winxp thing . My H+ used to work fine when i was using winme .I switched to winxp and can't get a pic on the vga out anymore (i don't know about the tv out as i don't have it connected at the moment)

The other thing i would check what could give you a b+w pic is . Is it set to output pal ? . It tends to be set to ntsc on default

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i upgraded to XP the Hollwood card would not work, as there were no drivers available,

new drivers now work with it, and this thread promted me to put it back in my PC and try it, and it works great, better picture than my Pioneer 530 set top player

Like squid says check the Pal output and try a composite lead to see if that gets you a colour picture, if your getting a black & white picture it should be not a big deal getting a colour picture thru s/vid

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, I've found my cable and yes it does output a colour picture on both R1 and R2 DVDs when using Composite Video.

As I said previously, the option to change to S-Vid is greyed out.

I have tried the various output options, NTSC, PAL60 and Auto etc but nothing helps. It's still B&W.

I'll have to live with the composite by the looks of it!

Thanks anyway guys

DaveP

8. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear that . I checked my options and the s-vid cop option is grayed out for me aswell . never used to be in winme . I jkust gave up on trying to run mine in winxp and have just got powerdvdxp .I still dont think the pic is quite as good as the H+ no mater how much people seem to think the H+ is crap around these forums