1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with HiDef downloads please.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by leedsfireman, Jun 6, 2004.

1. leedsfireman

leedsfireman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, i've got the Video Lan player & i think downloaded Sipderman (4gig) & Gladiator (12gig) using Azereus. The strange thing was that the video files are showing on my laptop but only took minutes to down load. When i open the Lan player it will not play any of the videos, what am i doing wrong?
    Andy

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    you have empty files I think it should take hours to download those 2 (dependant on you link it could take days.. took me about a week to get spiderman in full)

when u start the torrent it will create empty files of the correct size...

hth

Matt

3. Doorman80

Doorman80
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've download Daredevil, Reloaded and Spiderman but they are all just 4.5 gig avi files. Plus Daredevil looks crap on the fast moving scenes. Are these classed as HD? I alos have alot of .ts files which look alot better(Gladiator, Fast and Furious etc)

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    These files are indeed High Def, just look at the resolution however just like with standard definition digital telly when there is too much compression the image quality suffers.
    I have no doubt that divx, xvid and wm9 codecs are quite capable of being used to create a small(ish) filesize but when compromises are made in an attempt to meet the file size requirment (1 dvd for example) image quality on some scenes will suffer.
    Lets not forget these movies are being posted by talented amateurs and without them HD material in the UK would be a fraction of what it is now, which isn't saying much but at least we don't have to wait years for the movie and tv industry to support the format.

The .ts files are transport streams, more or less identical to the original HD broadcast with no further compression taking place, the total file size is obviously much larger than a wm9 etc encode and therefore should and does look better.