Help with HD set up

V

VinnyLW

I have a Philips plasma tv and Philips dvd home theater system. I used to get the option of sound from the tv through my dvd speakers when I connected by scart but now I have changed to a HDMI cable I don't ? The cable works fine when watching dvd's so its not faulty and I have tried what I think is every setting on both tv and dvd to make normal (digital) tv sound work through the dvd speakers but have drawn a blank. I have also connected up red/white audio cables to the audio in as I thought this may make a difference but these were just off my old hifi do I need special ones ? Sorry to be such a thicky but any help gratefully received !

You will probably have to select an external source i.e. your TV on the All-in-one surround sound system in order to get sound from the TV through the s.s. speakers. Does it allow you select an "Aux" input (or similar)? The problem with most all-in-one systems is they only give you surround sound via the inbuilt DVD player. What models are they?

Many ta's for replying ! But .... I have tried it through the Aux button and also changed the settings on the TV.

The models are Philips Plamsa 42PF5521D and a Philips DVD HTS6510.

The DVD instructions say connect an audio cable (red/white) from the "Aux In" on the DVD to the "Audio Out" on the TV (this is in a general section on connecting audio .... Note - I didn't have to do this when it was solely connecting via Scart, to confirm when I only used the scart between tv and dvd I could get sound coming through the s.s. speakers when just watching normal tv) ..... but I haven't got an "Audio Out" on my tv, the only two options are "DVI Audio In" with red/white sockets OR "Audio In" and two more red/white sockets ..... I have tried connecting both and neither works !!!!

I actually went into a Currys and Comet this afternoon and neither of them had a clue !!!!!

Your TV has spdif out and your all-in-one has co-ax in, so connect it to the all-in-one using a digi coax lead. Profigold make one at around a tenner that I use and it's good quality.

Thanks again for coming back I'll give this a try .... I've read up some other threads on this and appears I'm not the only one a bit flumuxed by this .... HDMI doesn't seem the forward leap of technology I would have expected more of a forward stumble !

Hello VinnyLW

The HDMI socket on your DVD/AV Amp is an Output socket only - there is no audio coming back from the TV via HDMI.

SCART is a Bi-directional connection and in your system is offering DVD Video + Audio to the TV and TV Tuner Audio from the TV to the AV Amp.

As davepuma suggest try a single RCA to RCA cable between the Digital audio Out on the TV and the Digital Audio In on the AV Amp - alternatively if you have a SCART to 3RCA or SCART to 6RCA cable handy connect the SCART Out on the TV to the LR (Red/White) RCA Stereo Input sockets on the AV Amp using the LR Audio Output tails on the SCART cable.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom