Help with Harmony 895

zero7

I just purchased a harmony 895 ans I'm having a few problems setting it up.

I have added all my devices ok. however when I press watch DVD my Plasma switches off, what's all that about:(

I'm not too hot with these sort of devices...

Rebel154

zero7 said:
I just purchased a harmony 895 ans I'm having a few problems setting it up.

I have added all my devices ok. however when I press watch DVD my Plasma switches off, what's all that about:(

I'm not too hot with these sort of devices...
The Harmony thinks that everything is switched off when you start (first switch on of the day). If you turn your TV on manually, then select the "Watch DVD" activity, the 895 will send the appropriate codes to your equipment and if the TV uses a toggle power on/off command - and if it is already on - the activity will turn the TV off.

Make sure you double check your settings as you set up each activity. The 895 , once configured correctly, sets your equipment for the activity you want. For instance, if you are watching Sky and the decide to watch a DVD (and who wouldn't), the "Watch a DVD" activity will switch off the Sky box, switch on the DVD, select the correct input on the TV, and the correct audio setting on the AVR amp (if you are using one).

There is a good help system built into the 895 which will put everything as it should be (for that session). Just answer the questions once you press the 'Help' button.

I had this problem initially because I was using a toggle power command but fortunately, my Panny plasma has discrete on and off commands.

zero7

Thanks REB!

I'll have a go, I have managhed to pair the RF to the remote but now it won't control my sky as I had set my RF to control my devices. I'm slowly loosing the will to live:(

zero7

O.K - I'm not going to give up on this, I have managed to tell my devices that they will be operated via the RF Extender, (These are the devices that will be out of view).

I am now trying to update the RF extender and remote with this information at both devices are listed to update. It updates the RF extender, I then click on next and it goes back to the same screen and updates the FR extender, I expect it to go to the 895 and update this but it just keeps looping.

I presume I need to update the 895 now that I have managed to pair the FR extender and told my devices the RF extender will control these devices?

Rebel154

Have you got the latest firmware in each device? If you still have the older firmware in the RF Extender, you won't be able to update the 895 (read my email for more details).

zero7

Sorry to go on lads, butr someone might benefit from all these rants.

Mission complete! (Well phase1)

I reverted back to the original firmware level, and I managed to update the remote and RF, I then loaded the olderr firmware and hey presto the remote can now operate the sky box from outside the room... i now need to play with the remote and read the manual.

I do have one question, I want to operate equipment in two rooms, the sky boxes, cd player, dvd, av amp are in my lounge and this is where I have put the RF extender, however I also want ot control the kit in my HT room which is one floor up. how will this work? Can I connect more than once RF extender.

Rebel154

zero7 said:
Sorry to go on lads, butr someone might benefit from all these rants.

Mission complete! (Well phase1)

I reverted back to the original firmware level, ....

I do have one question, I want to operate equipment in two rooms, the sky boxes, cd player, dvd, av amp are in my lounge and this is where I have put the RF extender, however I also want ot control the kit in my HT room which is one floor up. how will this work? Can I connect more than once RF extender.
If you still have the older firmware in either unit (RF & 895), you will have problems updating your configuration. Having said that, if the software detects an older version, it will automatically update the firmware to the latest available - you haven't got a choice (from what I can tell). Once you have downgraded and then upgraded the firmware in both units, the RF will still work OK.

As for your HT room etc - do you need to operate either set of equipment from the other room? If not, you just need to create your activities to cover all functions/modes of both rooms and carry the remote between the two rooms as required. The only way to fully automate the last bit (getting the remote from one room to the other) is to get your wife/GF/child/other slave to carry it for you :D .

zero7

Rebel154 said:
If you still have the older firmware in either unit (RF & 895), you will have problems updating your configuration. Having said that, if the software detects an older version, it will automatically update the firmware to the latest available - you haven't got a choice (from what I can tell). Once you have downgraded and then upgraded the firmware in both units, the RF will still work OK.

As for your HT room etc - do you need to operate either set of equipment from the other room? If not, you just need to create your activities to cover all functions/modes of both rooms and carry the remote between the two rooms as required. The only way to fully automate the last bit (getting the remote from one room to the other) is to get your wife/GF/child/other slave to carry it for you :D .
Thanks for your help (again;) )

I will be carrying the remote up to the room with me but my kit is located behind my sofa so not in line of sight, I did order a second RF module but from looking at the info I can only connect a single RF extender?

zero7

Does anyone know if I can pair a second RF module with the 895? as I want to control equipment spread accross two floors with one remote.