Help with good value gaming pc?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by ibby!, Jan 25, 2008.

1. ibby!

ibby!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    hey, im looking to get a new pc, as my laptop can't be used for gaming.I want to be able run Far Cry 2/Crysis at a good/high level.
    However i don't really know much about pc's insides, so i was wondering if I could get a little help off you techies!

Im 18 in May, and ill probably be getting a sum of money, which i think will able me to get a top-end pc for university.

However i would not know where to start with building my own pc, let alone what components to put in it!

Is it a lot cheaper/better to build your own rather than buy a top end Dell desktop?
    e.g Dimension TM XPS 720 H2C (D01X702)

How much would it cost me to build a pc, that could run Crysis/Far Cry 2 perfectly?

Would i be wrong to think less than £1000?

So guys, i just need a bit of help and advice, for where to buy such a pc, or recommendations of good parts and components + explainations of the part.

Sorry if I'm not really making sense or asking too much, i don't really understand all this techy stuff!:S

Cheers anyway
    Dan

2. blingo

blingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    These are quick find codes for ebuyer just search them

That comes to £835.29 this includes 24 inch monitor.

3. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,535
    at the moment i would say wait and see what is around in may.

new gfx cards (9000 series) are due soon and also the new Quad core cpu's are due soon from Intel etc.

Building your own pc is usually cheaper for a similar spec prebuilt pc and the enjoyment of building is good fun.

I would probably wait till may to buy the components as things change very quickly in what is new/good/top end components etc.

£1000 will get you a cracking pc so no worries there!

4. Seque

Seque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    hi
    Top of the range spec will run crysis and far cry at very high details

CPU- Intel Quad core Q6600 2.66GHZ OEM Version £160
    CPU Cooler - Scythe Ninja Plus With Fan £30
    Motherboard - Asus P5k premuim Black Pearl Edition £115
    Memory - 4GB Corsair 800MHz Ram £70
    Hard Drive - Western Digital 500GB £60
    Pioneer CD/DVD writer £15
    Case - Antec 900 Case £65
    Power Supply - 650W Corsair £70
    Graphics card - ATI 3870x2 ~£300
    OS - Vista 64-bit OEM £60
    Cost to Build £70

Total cost £1015

Overclock the Q6600 to 3.5Ghz and u will be able to run crysis and far cry no probs. unless u play it on a stupidly high resolution.

However as u r not 18 till may then the new quad cores should be out by then so u want the Q9450 which u will prob be able to overclock to 4GHz

and also the 9800gx2 nvidias new top end graphics card but will prob be £400+ and also the 9800GTX prob around £350

to be honest its pretty pointless giving a spec which u wont be getting for 4 months + as new stuff will be out and will be able to see how that performs plus older stuff will be cheaper.

Spec build from cclonline.com price in vat + 1 year warranty

if u wanted to build it yourself then u would prob save £100 maybe more

5. ibby!

ibby!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    cheers for the replies!

i've always stopped myself getting into pc gaming, as the technology is constantly improving! But no i see, how powerful they can actually be, and it interests me! id be playing at either 1680x1050 on monitor, or 1360x768 on my tv.

Right okay, well ill look forward to May then, but ill definetly have to let someone else build for me, be it a company or a mate, as i don't know what im doing!

Could some explain what overclocking is? :confused:
    I hear the term used a lot, and i presume its sort of upgrading performance, but how does it work?

I mean bascially i need a top spec, gfx card, lots of ram, and quad cpu's and im sorted?

Thanks for the replies so far!

6. blingo

blingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Overclocking is pushing the hardware you buy to the max. Somthing you might not want to do if you not to techie. For CPU you adjust clock speeds in the bios to bumb up the speed of the processor doing this increases power use and the heat also goes up. Same for overclocking ram and your graphics card.

When you first buy it dont worry about overclocking it you got more then enough power then after 6 months to a year read about how to do it properly and you might want to push your hardware to get the most out of it.