Help with gardening gloves for my mum.

Rich Marshall

It's all she's asked for for Christmas so I can't let her down but I have no interest in gardening myself so am a little lost.

She did mention there are different types ...like big thick ones are useless with detailed work etc.

I want to get her a few good quality pairs of different types but what brands & materials should I be looking for please?

Rich

Dony

Distinguished Member
For general use, I have a pair of THESE

The leather patches prevent getting stabbed with briars, nettles etc.

I need a new pair as my current ones have dried out and cracked a bit meaning they aren't as strong as they once were.

These wouldn't be suitable for detailed work. Can't help you there.

alpine101

Garden centre ones tend to be silly prices, but you will find light duty ones there. For heavy duty, leaf clearance, cutting down rose bushes etc., you can't beat a pair of welding gloves which are chrome leather but you can get for £3 or £4 from Machine Mart. Cheap because in the welding world they are considered disposables, but they'll last several years for gardening. I've seen the same gloves sold for gardening at about £30!!!!

Edit: Even cheaper than I thought!:
Red Welding Gauntlet - Machine Mart

They are soft lined and soft leather so not uncomfortable to wear.

Last edited:

MIghtyG

Garden centre ones tend to be silly prices, but you will find light duty ones there. For heavy duty, leaf clearance, cutting down rose bushes etc., you can't beat a pair of welding gloves which are chrome leather but you can get for £3 or £4 from Machine Mart. Cheap because in the welding world they are considered disposables, but they'll last several years for gardening. I've seen the same gloves sold for gardening at about £30!!!!

Edit: Even cheaper than I thought!:
Red Welding Gauntlet - Machine Mart

They are soft lined and soft leather so not uncomfortable to wear.

its amazing the difference in prices depending on the target market.

I remember seeing paint brushes in a DIY shop for about £8 for 3 (I think) then seen the exact same brushes sold for £0.12 each in a suppliers for fiber glass.

For DIY they will last years, for fiber glass they will last 30min :laugh:

alpine101

But very big and bulky !!! .....

I can assure you that if you have things like shrub roses, they are great. All the ones that garden centres sell tend to have cloth backs, and the prickles go straight through... They also offer no protection to the wrists and lower arms.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
alpine101 said:
I can assure you that if you have things like shrub roses, they are great. All the ones that garden centres sell tend to have cloth backs, and the prickles go straight through... They also offer no protection to the wrists and lower arms.

That's if your poor old mum can pick up anything with them on lol , btw you didn't need to assure me of anything , I have used them for years ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom