1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Freeview

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by GlennM, Jul 13, 2005.

1. GlennM

GlennM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be grateful for any thoughts and advice that you can offer with the following problem;

I have recently purchased an LG RZ-60PY10 Plasma screen, which as I understand is HD ready, with DVI-I and HDMI input as well as component input.

However the tv tuner is a standard analgue tuner and not digital and so to receive digital tv, as I understand it I need either Sky or Freeview.

As I understand it the so called set-top boxes (including the up market models with hard disks and DVD burners) actually convert the digital signal for viewing on an analogue tv set, and so if I connect one to my tv, it will in effect concvert digital to analogue when in theory I should be able to receive the signal digitally.

Have I understood the technology correctly? and if so is there a box/gadget that I should consider buying which will not convert the signal to analgue but allow the signal to be passed to the tv as a digital signal? or do I buy a cheap digibox connect it and wait for HD tv broadcasts to commence next year?

Thanks for your help :lease:

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Yes you have understood it, more or less.

However, there is little to be gained with standard definition TV and digital outputs. When high-definition boxes become available within the next year, they will have digital outputs. So your suggestion of getting a cheap box to tide you over is a good one.

3. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    It can get a little more complex, depending on the connectivity of the plasma and set top box. Many of the cheaper Freeview boxes (and Sky digiboxes) only have RGB SCART sockets to connect with the TV. I don't know if your plasma has a SCART input but most certainly don't. If not you have two main choices: get a Freeview box with component out (I THINK there are some, such as the Netgem iplayer, that do this) or get an RGB - VGA converter. There are several of these about but my understanding is that they vary somewhat in terms of image processing ability. The favourite on these forums is the J.S Technology one, which is deemed to be superb, but this does cost about £140 I believe. I use one of these and the image from Freeview is excellent on my SD plasma (but I don't know what other converters would produce in comparison).
    I would recommend doing a search on this forum for component-out boxes. Hope this helps.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Some displays can give marked improvements when fed with component input, some will show none at all. It really boils down to how well the display does its own conversion. Some plasma TV's won't show any difference at all when fed from a component source. It's best to seek further advice before investing heavily in conversion boxes.

5. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Just in case it's not clear, what I meant was consider a set top box that has component out (rather than a conversion box with component out). The Netgem iplayer, for example, does have this and this means you can connect it directly to the component inputs on the plasma. This should give a good picture - certainly better than composite video - and means you can avoid SCART RGB - VGA converters.