1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with fitting in car entertainment.

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by nitrusoxide2k1, Dec 14, 2004.

1. nitrusoxide2k1

nitrusoxide2k1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello peeps,

I have been interested in fitting a system into my voyager, and have recently purchased some electronic gear ;

1x flipmount 8" screen+dvd built in.
    2x 7 headrest screens.

I have also been given a power inverter for british plugs so that I can use
    xbox/ps2 etc.

Im no expert and wondered if someone could throw me a bone into how to get these fitted, i have the general idea, but i dont really want to have cables plugged into the cigarette lighter or a constant live (power drain!).
    where could i wire all the three above in so that it could handle it and possibly
    the power inverter.

im basically trying to achieve the effect that the 2 headrest screens and possibly an XBOX can be linked together with the roof mount screen so that i can switch between them (ie. one playing xbox , one with dvd film) My kids are crying for some entertainment and i have a long trip to scotland coming up :) (hehe)

thanks in advance guys, and sorry to bug everyone with my first posting :p

N20 : :lease:

2. Highgord

Highgord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi M8,
    You need to decide how you want to use the equipment.
    The first thing to do is arrange a power supply.
    If you want to be able to use the devices with the ignition off, then you need a permenant live supply to the unit. Standard wiring on cars requires 2 live feeds, a permenant positive and a switched or ignition positive. The permenant allows the unit to remember last performed actions and allows it to remember for example, where the dvd was playing last and play from that point. Unless you really know what you are doing, best leave this to a pro.
    If you choose to do it yourself, run an 8guage cable from the battery terminal, ensuring it is fused correctly within 6 inches of the terminal. Run this wire through the bulkhead into the cabin and connect it to a distribution terminal. You can then run your live power feeds from here. The 8 guage cable should provide plenty power but just check the current drain first.

Don't worry about a power drain if the devices are powered off. It should be neglegable if fitted correctly.

If you want screens to play different sources at the same time, you need to buy a switch box. I would recommend 2 places.
    either:
    www.cel-direct.com or
    www.tgincar.co.uk
    They will be able to help all you need.
    Last point.
    If you intend to use the PS2 or XBOX option whilst the vehicle is in motion, remember this;
    The gap between the laser and the spinning disc is a matter of millimetres. If the disc skips because of a large enough bump, the disc may contact with the laser pickup. This will damage the disc, especially in the PS2. Most people don't have a problem, but just be aware.

3. nitrusoxide2k1

nitrusoxide2k1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi m8

Thanks for replying, What im looking to do is basically run it from when the ignition is on, so the same as when the lighter output is running. if i was to do this where could i run the feed from? basically i will have 4 outputs to send power to ; the inverter, 2 screens and the fliptop screen with dvd.
    the headrest screens were only provided with standard cigarette adapters (tgincar.com).

Going to have to get the headphones in the next couple of days so ill buy the switch at the same time.

Thanks N20