Help with first hi-fi setup (Onkyo TX-2870)

jmb999

Total newbie here hoping to get some advice here on my first hi-fi setup, which includes two Micca MB42X bookshelf speakers, a single Micca MB42X-C center channel speaker, and the Onkyo TX-8270.
All the speakers are advertised as operating between 4-8 Ohms, and the receiver has a pair of A & B speaker inputs (one Left & one Right for A, one Left & one Right for B), as well as a separate input for a subwoofer.
My questions are the following:
  1. My L & R bookshelf speakers are currently connected as the Speaker A system. But I'm not clear on whether my setup will support the single center channel speaker, or how I would connect it. I don't think the MB42X-C is technically classified as a subwoofer. Does this mean I would need to run this speaker as either a Left or Right channel using the B input?
  2. The Onkyo manual states:
If any of the connected speakers have an impedance of 4 ≠ or more to less than 6 ≠, or when a Speaker B system is to be used, after completing Initial Setup, you need to make some settings in the Setup menu.

and then instructs me to set the speaker impedance to 4 ohms during the receiver setup. Since the impedance of my speakers is listed as variable between 4 and 8 ohms (and I don't currently have any speakers plugged into the Speaker B system, at least until I figure out what to do with my center channel), do I need to set the speaker configuration on the receiver to 4 ohms?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks all!

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

The Onkyo 8270 is a stereo receiver. There is no way to connect a centre speaker and the amp does not have the ability to output anything other than stereo. You could connect the speakers to position A only.

jmb999

Welcome to the Forum.

The Onkyo 8270 is a stereo receiver. There is no way to connect a centre speaker and the amp does not have the ability to output anything other than stereo. You could connect the speakers to position A only.

Lesson learned :facepalm: Thanks. I'm even more glad now that I asked about the speaker impedance before setting my new receiver on fire.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom