Help with finding new headphones moving from B & O A8's

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by chrishamer, Feb 6, 2009.

1. chrishamer

chrishamer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    OK i have been lurking here for a while but feel the need for some advice as i have trawled through a lot of the pages in this forum but havent found someone with the same question.

Right then let's begin.
    My main problem is what some would term my horrific taste in music.
    I am into things like classical music and jazz but most of the time i listen too the likes of Radiohead , Nine inch Nails, heavy elektro and house as well as some indie.
    I do not know how familiar most of you are with Nine inch Nails but imo it is hard to find headphones that *get along* with that kind of music

Now up until now I have been using my B & O A8's which are great headphones yet i have always felt the Bass quite lacking and the volume poor (having said that i just hooked them up to my amp and they sound better than ever but i normally use them with a new ipod nano) but in the past few months i have started to travel into central london on a refular basis and this means i am on trains and tubes a lot more than i ever was before.
    Now here is the problem..
    In the tube i can barely hear my music at all... this is not a good situation to be in when music is the only thing keeping you from going insane ^^

I am therefore looking for headphones but i have never been good on this front... I guess I am willing to spend in the region of £100 - £150 or so for decent in ear headphones... i do not like on ear as it pisses everyone else off in the train as i like listening to music quite loud...

I have looked at shure se310's but i have no idea where to test em so i guess i am going to be taking your words for it...
    I am open to any brand i just need something to do the job and to do it relatively well....

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  2. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    OK firstly it is highly unlikely that you will be able to test in ears so you have to go on peoples say so.

Since you like Jazz and Classical music the vocals and highs play a significant roll in the type of sounds that are produced but you have also stated you want to isolate the outside world while providing reasonable bass that you haven't had before.

There is a type of earphone Im going to advise on as I have listened to the difference between a single driver and dual driver in ear and the dual is what you should aim for.

1) Hmm I was going to say Westone UM2 as essentially they were the same as the Shure e5c but boy the prices are holding at a high £190 but if you can find them for under £150 get em you will not be disappointed. So the nearest to them appear to be the Shure SE420. These you can get from Play.com for your price. Use the larger foam tips in ears for good sound.

Here is a review here Shure SE420...Now thats more like it! - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Now go ahead buy and be happy....... The end.

3. chrishamer

chrishamer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi there thanks for your help.
    I will be buying the SE 420's this week hopefully.
    thanks
    chris

4. chrishamer

chrishamer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just a quick update.
    I finally recieved the headphones today paid £150 at play.com and am really impressed the sound is pretty awesome I do not know what people were doing that said these had no bass? In my opinion the Bass is almost perfect.
    thanks again for your advice!:smashin: