Help with finding a reliable/good 1tb external

black1510

hi, guys/girls, i bought a western digital elements 1tb external from amazon last week (£75) as i thought it looked good, I have spent the past week putting about 700GB on it, also the amount of file organising and meta data tagging i have done over the past week......

last night the PSU died as I connected it to my western digital media player (which was off) it made a hell of a noise as well :eek: I have read up online and these PSU's are prone to this.

Lucky for me the drive still works (phew) and my freecom PSU works with the drive.

My main worry is if PSU lasts a week how long before the drive bites the dust :(, I have asked amazon for a replacement PSU (might happen lol) obviously i'm not sending the HDD back has the data is not backed up.

What would you recommend as a proven relaible 1 tb drive to use as my primary (used with media player/PC often) using the WD elements as a backup?

My freecom 500GB has lasted well over a year with no probs but i've seen bad reviews for the 1tb for some reason.

cheers :thumbsup:

black1510

I thought WD were the best...:rolleyes:

yeah i thought they were right up there (not saying they're not) but when you're PSU goes like that after a week it shakes confidence in the product, hope the actual drive keeps going, freecom so far have been the best for me

Wondering what other people swear by/use regulary, don't want to loose all the data :suicide: (it's more the time spent organising/tagging than the content as most of that is backed up on other HDD/discs - though not organised)

jameson_uk

Wondering what other people swear by/use regulary, don't want to loose all the data :suicide: (it's more the time spent organising/tagging than the content as most of that is backed up on other HDD/discs - though not organised)
RAID and backups. Other than Maxtor drives where I have had lots die on me, I have had the odd Samsung and WD die on me and I fixed friends PCs with dead Seagates.

Bottom line is HDD die. Most that are going to go in a catostrophic way will die very early on as they are basically faulty out of the factory where as the once that reach the end of their life tend to tell you they are on their way out.

I know have all my important data on a RAID5 array. I have had this a year and I have had one HDD die on me and one go a bit funny. Was just a case of swapping the hard-drive, clicking the button and waiting a while until the array rebuilt. No downtime and no loss of data

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom