1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with faulty TV/ retailer

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Peter Shilton, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    last june I bought a Toshiba RPTV. In February there was a green tint when watching through the component.

I called the retailer who took it away, had it for 2 weeks then returned it. They said it was a faulty part and there had been a modification. toshiba were out of stock of the modified part so they took one out of one of their stock TVs to put in mine and returned it. Very nice, I thought.

When the TV came back the picture was sharp but slightly tilted. Also the lights at the front didn't work and there was screen burn on the screen. Also the speaker would sounds staticy after a while. I checked the serial number and it was not the same TV.

I telephoned them and they said they had swapped the chassis as they couldn't get the part. I told them I wanted my own TV back. They said they were still waiting for the part.

Now, 3 months on I have spoken to them and they at first said they were waiting for the part, they wouldn't tell me what the part was (so i could contact Toshiba direct). they want the TV I have back so they can make 1 good one out of the 2. However I do not want a TV made up of secondhand parts from 2 TVs. I want my TV back, with the faulty part replaced with a new one from Toshiba.

They now say they dont know which part is faulty and they will not now even talk to me unless they have their TV back.

The upshot of it is, they have had my TV for 3 months without repairing it; they fraudulently gave me a used, faulty TV telling me it was my own, repaired.

This is an abridged version of events. I now do not trust them to return my TV with its original parts in, or to do the job. Where do I stand legally? Can anybody help?

2. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Personally I'd go to trading standards and get their advice on this. It sounds like you've been given misleading information from the dealer and who knows what else may occur if you proceed and return the TV as they request.

I'd also contact Toshiba and try to talk to someone there about this, if this dealer is an official Toshiba dealer then Toshiba may authorise a proper repair or at least get some action ....

As a former TV repairman running a small repair workshop, I know how demanding the job can be sometimes, but there's no need to be deceitful to the customer. It sounds like you rumbled their swapping over of chassis / TV (isn't the serial number on the case and NOT the chassis? - thus the entire TV has been swapped?) I wonder if you got an ex demo TV from the shop hence the image burn?

Anyhow, I'd be wary of trusting them again unless they can give good reasons for their actions.

3. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The dealer is a large player, but not a Toshiba official dealer. I suspect that the TV is a grey import, hence the difficulty with parts.

I have spoken to Toshiba but they merely referred me to the dealer.

I have spoken to trading Standards who told me to write to the dealer (which I have done, awaiting a reply) but to be honest i don't think the letter will help.

They will say "give us our other TV back then we will sort yours out"

4. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    It an idea to make sure they are aware that trading standard are helping you out, this way they wont argue well firm never have with me once they know what i got down the pipeline ;) either trading standard and watch dog make dealers panick

5. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my opinion the main problems with letting them get their TV back are:

a) They told me it was my TV, repaired. As it was not they have therefore been fraudulent. This may be a strong part of my case.

b) last time I was without my TV for nearly 3 weeks. This is a long time to have a 14" TV sitting on top of a 42" RPTV stand!

c) As the TV I have at the moment is an ex demo one, they will probably bastardise the 2 to get me one that works. but for how long? I expect to have a new component replace the faulty one.

d) Whilst I have their TV I have some bargaining power, and the time it takes to correct the problem is not so important.

6. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    suggest to them that you will let them uplift the "loan" set only on production of another of similar proportions.

also make them aware that upon return of your sorted set that you will be getting it checked elsewhere to make sure there are no second hand parts fitted.

if this doesn't work and they are a big player then ask for the name and either a contact number or email address of the managing director of the company (they must supply you this by law).

then pester the ass off of him i'm quite sure then something shall definetely be done to resolve the situation.

hth

Tom Barr.

7. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Peter, with respect I reckon that everything that's been suggested so far will end up giving you a lot of grief and no satisfaction. My advice is to get a solicitor to write a letter to them. Yes, it'll cost you money but it's more likely to work and restore your peace of mind sooner. The solicitor will also advise you what your rights are.

8. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who is the retailer? Did you pay with a credit card? If so they are jointly liable for the problem.

It is a disgrace how the retailer is behaving. The only retailer I really trust is John Lewis - yes they can cost more but you get proper after-sales service.

Good luck.

9. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AN UPDATE:

I had to issue Court proceedings.

This caused a conversation between th retailer and Toshiba.

A very helpful rep from Toshiba called round and fixed a lot of the problems on the "replacement" TV, but he confirmed it had phospher burn and was not acceptable. Possibly been used as a demo TV.

The retailer has now agreed to replace my TV in the next 7 days. It appears that they no longer have my old one!!

It will be interesting to see if I get the same model, as they have now been replaced!!

I also want my £120 court fee repaid.

10. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    At least you've got a positive outcome.

I wonder what poor unsuspecting person has 'your' TV now?

11. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looks like I spoke too soon.

I had a phone call from the wife at 5.00 to say that the retailer has come to collect their TV. I asked her if they had brought a replacement.

No they hadn't.

So I told her to tell them that they couldn'y have theirs back until we had the replacement.

(Glad I wasn't there!!)

The seven days isn't up yet so we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Maybe they've "found" my own set and want to fix it with secondhand parts? One thing the very nice Toshiba man mentioned in passing is that they dont have any engineers qualified to work on these! Interesting.