Help with extender solution (on a budget)

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by DucMonster, Feb 9, 2014.

1. DucMonster

DucMonster
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Done some searching and reading up today and still struggle to decide on what the best solution is for me.

What I have:
    - A basement with a surround receiver and a connected projector
    - A home office with a computer that I'm looking to play content from (including surround sound)
    - CAT6 wired network between basement and office (one cable today)
    - A fairly difficult cable path, meaning an HDMI (standard size) cable will be very difficult to run, one more CAT6 should be fine, two more CAT6 is doable - just a bit trickier. Distance to cover is 12m including slack (40 feet).
    - I will not be extending to other rooms, or connecting multiple devices, so I don't need any expensive HDMI over IP solutions

As I'm looking for a budget solution, I'm curious about:
    - Any issues running a micro HDMI cable, then use a 'mirco-HDMI -> HDMI' adapter in the basement and connect to the surround receiver? I would think this solution would be best for audio, but I'm worried about the length of the cable.
    - I see some extenders I could use with 2 CAT6 runs - from what I can read in product specs it again seems video is fine, but audio seems to be limited to two channels. Is that right?
    - The active/powered wire extenders seems to do the same job as the double, just with better distance (which I don't require). Do they work in the same manner as the 2x wire extenders?
    - Finally, I've also seen some cheap passive one wire extenders that from a cost perspective are great, but again I'm worried about the audio.

Would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions in regards to above dilemma!

Thanks !
    DucMonster

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    Stick a wired or wireless networked streamer solution in the basement and remove the requirement to view/listen/control your PC in the basement.

HDMI has 19 pins - CAT cables have 8 - you can see the potential problem with HDMI over a single CAT cable, HDBaseT is the only ratified HDMI over single CAT solution.

Every HDMI device requires power - there are no magical 'passive' devices, badly designed devices try and steal power from the connected Source device, it doesn't always work.

Joe

3. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    The dual Cat6 HDMI extenders should be fine for audio not sure where you saw they were limited to two channels.

4. DucMonster

DucMonster
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @joe,
    If my solution becomes too expensive I might as well put a PC in the basement...so needs to be less than the cost of a new PC. Most of the HDBaseT links I came across today were fairly expensive (granted less than 24 hrs of research...). As to the pin layout of the HDMI vs CAT6, then even two cables would be short, yet I see many good reviews of the products (mostly if not all on video quality...).

What about using a micro-HDMI for that distance? 50-50 if it will work or not?

@AT
    Well now I can't find the links of course.. :) It may have been the lack of audio specs that got me worried, plus a single corded devices states 'lossless', yet audio is stated to be two channels, like this one: 50m HDMI over Cat 5 Extender with IR Passback - Extend Full HD 1080p, 3D up to 50m with a single Cat 5 Cable

This one from Monoprice looks decent to me but no audio details:
    HDMI® Extender using Cat5e/CAT6 cable extending up to 196 ft, Supporting DDC & HDCP - Monoprice.com

@Both,
    Thanks for quick replies!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  5. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    All! Dual cat 5/6 solutions will carry full audio. Singles ones that aren't aren't HDBASET should be avoided.

6. DucMonster

DucMonster
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @AT, Thanks for clarifying that. With that, I see my two options as:
    1) Run one Micro-HDMI cable to the basement (12m/40 feet), then use a Micro-HDMI to HDMI adapter to connect to my surround receiver
    2) Run two CAT6 cables and use a dual wire extender, such as the one from Monoprice linked above.

Any comments on option #1 with regards to the audio and video quality?

7. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Have you actually seen a Micro-HDMI cable at 12M ?

I suspect that it may not work, it wont be a quality issue just whether it works or not.

Seb

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,520
    Hi DucMonster

Micro-HDMI – is only useful on short cable runs.

Single CAT – as Seb says only HDBaseT or HDBaseT-lite ensure you have a full unmodified HDMI signal at the Sink (Display) end of the cable run.
    Media Factory - Octava HD70STP-EX, HDBaseT HDMI + IR + RS232 over single
    CAT6 Extender

Dual CAT – done correctly there should be no issues with video or audio, http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava_HDCATIR-UK.htm

PC – would you need a PC, could a ‘Player’ not do what you require?

Joe

9. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
  10. DucMonster

DucMonster
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You guys reply fast!! Many thanks.

Hear you with regards to cost vs quality, yet I don't need the IR as I'll be controlling playback via tablet and WiFI.

I thought micro-HDMI came in same lenghts as HDMI, so if that option is off....then it seems I only have one left, which is the dual wire extender.

New dilemma: cheap or expensive ;)

Appreciate all your help! Promise to update once I get something setup!

11. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Cheap or reliable would possibly be a better phrase!!

Our extender without IR is £79+VAt (5% discount for AVForum members - use code AVF5)