1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Eltax Evolution...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dsm12475@yahoo., Jul 2, 2003.

1. dsm12475@yahoo.

dsm12475@yahoo.
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,i just purchased the eltrax 5.2 evolution package,the prob i have is with the 2 towers,the tower comes with 4 pieces of metal that attach to the speaker inputs,i assume this grounds it,when i have these 4 metal plates on, the sound when i choose stereo output on my amp is great but if i remove these metal things then the sound sucks on stereo,the advisor in richer sounds said i had to remove these metal plates if i wanted to use the built in active subs or it will shortout, which i have done now,but now the 2 channel stereo sound awfull.is this correct do i have to remove them,seems a shame to remove them when stereo sound is so much better with them on...also what is the best frequency to use for the crossover setting on the front of the towers

thx for any help.....

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I am not sure that I fully understand what these four bits of metal are but from having a look at a manual on the Eltax website it would appear that the speakers have four speaker terminals each as they are biwirable plus a subwoofer outlet as they have a built in active subwoofer.

If that is the case, the links should remain between the positive and negative terminals on each speaker (assuming that you don't wish to biwire them) and just use one pair on each speaker to connect to the amp.

If the "pieces of metal" are indeed the biwiring links, by removing them you will only be connecting the treble or midrange speaker to the amp and not both of them.

The subwoofer will have a seperate single phono outlet which should be connected to the subwoofer output on your amp.

3. dsm12475@yahoo.

dsm12475@yahoo.
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx for reply ian,
    so to keep the treble and midrange speakers together i need to keep the metal piece on,this would make sense to me as when i remove the metal the speaker sounds all tinny but when i put it back on it sounds good again...also if this is the case then this piece of biwireing metal wouldnt be prone to short out by turning on the active sub?
    thx
    darren

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The biwiring links shouldn't have anything to do with the subwoofer as that is in a seperate compartment of the speaker unit

5. dsm12475@yahoo.

dsm12475@yahoo.
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to repeat myself but just to be sure i understand,this would make sense that i lose sound quality by removing the metal piece?
    also this thing i so techinally call a lump of metal , is a thin piece of metal with curved ends and fits around the base of the binding posts,each metal piece fits around one red and one black,does that sound like a biwiring piece?

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    My physics is terrible and my own speakers are not biwirable but I wouldn't have thought that the links were the correct way round. I would have thought that they should connect both the reds together and both of the blacks.

Maybe someone else can confirm this please

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Looking at the online manual here it would seem that the links should be connected from top to bottom and not side to side. This means that both positives and bothe negatives would be linked together

8. dsm12475@yahoo.

dsm12475@yahoo.
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry my mistake they r red to red and black to black,so looks like i need to keep these on anyway,i brought these speakers from richer sounds yesterday they said to me the unit had been out on display but was in perfect order,got home to find no cables at all in box and the 4 metal pieces were 3 correct ones and one that had been taken from another set of speakers,i went back to change them today and the assistant told me i didnt really need them anyway,but i asked him to order me the correct 4th piece of metal anyway so i get that next week...hopefully that will be the last of my probs and i be up and running then.....
    thx for help ian was appreciated......

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It's a sad thing to have to say but the assistants in Richer Sounds are not reknowned for giving out accurate advice.

As a matter of interest, the idea of the four terminals is so that you can connect the two speakers in each unit seperately to the amplifier so you would need to remove the links and cable each pair of terminals seperately to the speaker connector on the back of the amp.

Many don't bother doing this and prefer to keep the links in place and just have a single run of cable. If you have a link missing you can make your own by using a spare piece of cable to connect the two terminals.

10. dsm12475@yahoo.

dsm12475@yahoo.
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    will standard speaker cable be fine for this?

11. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    Yes a small length of speaker cable will between the terminals will do the trick.

12. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, put the links in, red to red and black to black. Connect a standard cable to one of the red and one of the black posts and you are in business. The reason it sounded rubbish is that you had only the tweeters connected up without the links.

The bloke in Richer Sounds is a five star plonker.