1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with dvi for sky hd and x360

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by cyman, Sep 20, 2005.

1. cyman

cyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    can anyone help me???? i have a phillips 37PF5520D/10 high def lcd tv and a couple of questions i need some help with........

the phillips only has 1 dvi input and since i wish to connect up my x360 on release day i will have to use a vga cable (a dvi to vga adapter came with the tv)for the high def connection. my conundrum is this will the sky hd box have hd input and output so i can connect both, do i need to start saving for an expensive splitter/switch or is there a simple cable adapter that can allow 2 inputs into the dvi connection so i dont have to unplug and swap inputs all the time.

i know its a little early to be asking questions about the sky hd box but i thought if i'm gonna find out anywhere its gonna be on here...lol

:thumbsup:

2. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Doesn't the screen have DVI, VGA and Component? In truth you'll be unlikely to notice any difference via any of the three.

3. cyman

cyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    no this screen has 1 dvi 1 standard scart and 1 rgb scart

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The xbox 360 is analogue, Sky HD is digital (or some may be analogue component). The DVI connector on the Philips is most probably a DVI-I which is both analogue and digital.

Luckly, you can get DVI-D+VGA<->DVI-I splitters/combiners and they are very cheap, often on ebay. The only issue is that some of the pins are shared with VGA and DVI-D (the EDID data lines) so these pins on the VGA cable should be cut, but since you are ot using true VGA, but component over VGA, this should not be a problem.

There are some postes on the cabling forum ... try searching for DVI VGA

One word of warning, the HDMI/DVI switchers available now but very expensive will often not switch the analogue side so would be useless in your application.

5. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    are you sure it is "HD ready" as teh philips site doesn't say it is.

6. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I read & saw some Microsoft Slides that showed that the XBox 360 will only supported 640 X 480, 800 X 600, 1024 X 748 or 1920 X 1080 via VGA. Therefore it wont display 720P. You'll be OK if the set supports 1080P over VGA but most only support standard PC Resolutions. You may be stuck with 1024 X 748 which will look nice but isnt actually High Def. Do you have not have component inputs (HD Ready sets must have these), a cheap & cheerful Component Switchbox can resolve a lack of HD Inputs?

Good luck !

:smashin:

7. James B

James B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to the manual for the TV, the component input goes through the DVI port!

It infers that you take the YPrPb from the XBOX360 and put it into a cable that takes the component and changes it to a VGA pin arrangement, then use a converter to convert the pin arrangement to DVI - how complicated is that!!!!

As Paulfoley suggests, the VGA cable isn't going to be of much use, as the TV only accepts up to 1024x768 over VGA. You'll have to use component video and these adapters to get 720p or 1080i.

James.

8. cyman

cyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The set is definatley hd ready (even says so on the box lol)

for reference this is what it says in the manual. in pc mode (switchable on the remote) 9 dif resolutions in digital from 640*350 upto 1280*1024 and 6 in analogue mode upto 1024*768 however in hd mode (switchable on the remote) it lists digital - edtv 480p + 576p and hdtv 720p +1080i and analogue as 480i,480p,576i,576p,720p,1080i.

all the convertors/connections come with the tv and i have just spoken to phillips direct who inform me that any high defintition source put through the dvi to vga adapter (in other words the vga port) will be shown in high def just by selecting the high def on the controller instead of letting the tv think its a pc with pc specific resolutions.

hope that makes sense.

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

To carry the official HD Ready logo (Not HDTV Ready or HD compatable) the panel would have to have both component and HDMI/DVI(with HDCP).
    This LCD (like my own) uses a multi function connection which therefore does not meet the HD Ready specs.

Full money back refund perhaps if you were sold it as being HD Ready:)

10. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I also noted on the Philips site that it does not mention whether teh 720p and 1080i inputs that the electronics accept are 50 and/or 60 hz

To be "HD Ready" they need to be both, through the DVI and component connections.

11. cyman

cyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    actually if you read up on the "hd ready" a set only needs 1 dvi/hdmi socket that meets the spec layed out. it doesnt state that you need componant aswell.

at least thats wot i just read in the hd ready license on the eicta website

12. cyman

cyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    just looked on philips website and for all you doubters about the tv specs

3rd line down of the television features reads as follows "HD ready for the highest quality display of HDTV signals" hold your cursor on the line and it will confirm the specs

just thought id fill in the gaps. sort of drifted away from the original questions a bit

13. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I wonder if a video processor like the lumagen or iscan is the answer here?
    Admittedly is a very expensive option but you could send all your video sources to the scaler then output dvi-d to the screen?

14. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Actually I have read the specs:)

The display device accepts HD input via:
    Analogue YPbPr, and
    DVI or HDMI

The actual pdf is here.

15. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

It says it uses a Universal connection which as stated by the EICTA (as I read and understand their specs for HD Ready) negates there use of their logo on this LCD panel.

16. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Yep.
    I currently have SKY, DVD and PC routed through my Iscan and feeding the single HD connection on my Philips LCD.

Long story how this came to pass but I certainly wouldn't be buying a HD display now without both component and HDMI, perhaps even two digital inputs:)

17. cyman

cyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    you seem to know wot you are talkin bout starburst. you must of just missed the part of the specs that says it is hd ready.

im sure if you let philips know then they will change/correct it for you. i doubt they have a clue wot they are talkin about after all

18. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I just read the EICTA spec and compared it to the published specs of the display (not the marketing logos) and always assume that maufacturers and retailers have done and will continue to pull the wool over unsuspecting potential customers.
    ALDI have certainly done it and acknowledged their error, deliberate or incompetent as it may have been and no doubt other displays (like the sammy HD CRT) have been incorrectly badged.

Will your 37PF5520D/10 work with SKY HD, yes.
    Will it work with the xbox360, yes.

Will the single HD connection allow two sources connected at the same time?
    Well this was covered (for my LCD) a while back but should apply to yours as well. Have a look at this thread

Hope it helps:)

19. hardiz

hardiz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Can anybody confirm that you get all the adapter cables in the box(ie Dvi-component etc)?

20. cyman

cyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    yeah you get all the adapters u need. and if you need splitters they are a couple of quid on ebay

21. mrgspot

mrgspot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just registered on these forums and have been through all the posts re this model. I have had this for 2 months now and go off and on in stages. Picture quality from DVD is stunning cant fault it. Sky+ however, as you have all been saying is very shoddy. Although a good distance away from this set is excellant.

Im still confussed with the member who believes this set does not support HD. Im assuming I have been had by philips, which is unusual for them. I read many reviews before purchasing, one of which a link to below. Totally inderpendantly these guys say they were astouded by the HD picture.

I may be wrong, but the review is a good read anyhow.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=6533

Cheers G