1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with DVD-R to meet reqs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pelham, Dec 4, 2004.

1. pelham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I'm lookinf to get a dvd recorder and have looked around but I'm not sure what the best option is for what I want it to do.

I' m going to get a Philips 30PF9975 30 Flat TV LCD Pixel Plus (or the new one if this handles the NTSC better). and therefore progressive scan.

I want if for usual recording off the TV, etc.
    porobably connection to digibox or sky some time in the near future.
    Needs to be compaitable with other players (how do recordings work with other regions?)
    Needs to be able to play NTSC.

Main usage would probaly come during the F1 season and so editing out the ads, etc would be good. IWhat gets kept is probably variable - so would I be better off getting something with a HDD?

Regarding price I'm not overly fixed on budget right now, and I'd prefer to pay a bit more for something that isn't going to get outdated in a few months time.

2. Rasczak

Distinguished Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    If you want to make editted recordings that play on other DVD players you need to get a HDD/DVDR combo. 'Standalone' DVD recorders allow you to make compatible recordings or editted ones - not both!

To be honest virtually all HDD/DVDRs recorders allow all of this. Ensure you get a model with RGB input as you want to record from a Digibox, buy a unit that records to DVD-R for the best possible compatibility and most units can play NTSC even if not all can record it. If you want to play your recordings in, for example, an upstairs DVD player then it's worth buying a unit with DVD-RW support - but most users on here just use write-once DVD-R as it is more compatible and cheap.

Units to consider are:
    - Panasonic E85, Panasonic E95 (no DVD-RW but best overall recording PQ)
    - Toshiba RDXS32
    - Pioneer 420, Pioneer 520