1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with DVD and FAN noise please ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by newstuart, Sep 19, 2004.

1. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hi guys

I have a advent media center pc i have some problems with can anybody help please ? :thumbsup:

1) DVD playback is unstable (ie keeps freezing and screen going blank green) plus it only fills about half the screen any ideas on these two?

2) FAN NOISE, i plan to use the pc in my living room but the fan (fans?) are very noisey. Is there a way of quieting these down ? I know you can buy quiet fans for PCs but this is a small (video player type) size and I dont know if the fans are the same size

I made the MISTAKE of buying this from PC world and as I might of guesed they are completly clueless on advice after they have taken £1000 of me :thumbsdow

any help much apreciated :thumbsup:

2. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You would really need to provide us with the specs of the machine (what cpu, how much memory you have in it etc.) and what dvd playing sofware is on it (PowerDVD, WinDVD etc.) for us to be able to trouble shoot why dvd playback is acting up on you.

In regards to fan noise, this could be caused by a number of different fans in your machine (graphics card, motherboard, case fans) or most likely a combination of them all... even though everything is built into a smal case these should all still be able to be replaced with quieter versions... can you post a link to the pc that you bought?

Regards,
    Iain.

3. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    When you say it fills half the screen - do you mean you have black bars top and bottom? If so then that is correct - Majority of DVDs played back on a monitor\TV will have black bars. Thats the way the film was shown in the cinema. I can go into immense detail if required.

Have you installed any other software since you bought this PC? Specs are irrelevant to be honest at this level. I would only question the specs if you had bought this PC 2-3 years ago. Even todays lowest spec machines should be able to give perfect DVD playback.

As for the fans - you will need to open up the PC and either replace the fans that are in there with quieter ones or use Zalman fanmates to adjust the speed of the fans down to a more acceptable noise.

Yes - you made your mistake buying an Advent PC from PCWorld but now you're going to have make the most of it. I bought my first PC from Tempo 5 years ago, never buy a PC again. I can make them cheaper and better. Live & learn I guess.