Question Help with duplicate waveforms on Inssider

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by leebroath, Jan 6, 2017.

1. leebroath

leebroath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,327
    Hi guys

I'm with Sky Q at the moment and lately our Wifi (on Fibre Unlimited) has been pretty bad and on many, many occasions YouTube always buffers. The router is on ground floor, a metre away from the telephone line, all devices are approximately 10metres or less from the router, not downloading at all and when running the Tube it still buffers :(

I have called up Sky and when they do a lone test (Ping) it arrives back at what they should be giving us, we are then told it has to be the amount of devices which are hooked up to the Wifi in our house. At present I have quite a few on Wifi but nothing is actually running on it or if it is it's only a little. Looking at the Sky Router settings and what is connected the likes of, Mini4, Apple TV in living room (not on), Sky, iPhone 7plus, a couple which are unknown, Xbox One, Hue...

I've looked at the software program I've used in the past called Inssider and as per attached I have duplicate waveforms both on 2.4 and 5ghz settings, is this normal? Looking at my neighbours waves they only have one line

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,717
    InSSIDer shows you all the Access Points advertising in your locale (or at least all the ones it can "hear" in any given locale.) If you see more than one trace for an SSID, then is means there are multiple AP's advertising the same SSID.

You'd expect to see such if you have multiple Access Points (including the AP built into your router) or so-called "Wi-Fi extenders" (repeaters) which do much the same thing.

3. leebroath

leebroath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,327
    I have no repeaters at all, it's only the one router in the house Mick

The router is what was given to us from SkyQ, we also have the mini box in our bedroom, which also creates the mesh wifi area in the house between the two. Although we always have the Mini off as the cable needs to be unplugged, we only plug in when watching a movie now and again

4. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,717
    That could be culpable, but I don't know anything about how SkyQ works.

I guess it's also possible that something is masquerading your SSID to try and "man in the middle" attack you, though I'd think it's unlikely.

Can you post up the entire screenshot from InSSIDer - it contains other information that will assist the diagnosis.

5. leebroath

leebroath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,327
    Done :)

6. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,717
    The MAC Addresses of both devices are registered to BSkyB, so I'd suggest you are seeing both your SkyQ and the Mini advertising themselves (maybe the latter uses Wi-Fi Direct or something similar.)

If you are running InSSIDer on a laptop, maybe take a walk with it from SkyQ to Mini and back again and see how the levels of the two RSSI's vary relative to distances from each.

7. leebroath

leebroath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,327
    This is what I can't understand, our Mini SkyQ box in the bedroom upstairs is switched off and has been for around 2-3 weeks ago, so I can't understand how this can be advertising itself

8. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,717
    I've just read a factsheet from Sky regarding the Mini which states amongst other things that it "boosts your Wi-Fi signal" (terrible and inaccurate language as nothing can "boost" "Wi-Fi Signal.")

This suggests Mini is functioning as an additional AP/repeater, in which case one would expect InSSIDer to "see" it as well as your router.

If you've established the "backhaul" network connection from Mini to your router using a "proper" network cable, then it would be wise to change the radio channels it uses so they differ from your router.

If Mini is functioning as a "repeater" and establishing it's link to your router over Wi-Fi, you probably cannot change the channel. Unfortunately when using Wi-Fi repeaters, the repeater and the router cannot both "talk" at the same time (fundamentally Wi-FI is an "only one thing at a time can talk" technology.) Because of this, using repeaters can clobber your Wi-Fi throughput, which might be why you are having buffering issues.

9. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,717
    Are you sure it's completely "off" and not just in some kind of "standby" mode which may leave the Wi-Fi functionality active...? I'd go and physically unplug it's wall-wart from the wall. Indeed, I think I'd do so with my InSSIDer running and watch to see if it disappears.

InSSIDer does have a bit of a "hold time" on it where it will continue to a display a device for a while after it's not there any more, but after a minute or two, an AP that's gone down will disappear.

10. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,717
    Incidentally, all the same principles apply to your main SkyQ box - if they also have Wi-Fi AP's built in, so if it's cloning your routers SSID you'll see it twice.

If router and SkyQ are co-located, their RSSI's are going to be similar. If that's the case it would be better to ethernet connect them and disable the WI-Fi in one or the other.

Again, you could try turning off your main SkyQ and see if an SSID disappears.

11. leebroath

leebroath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,327

It's been unplugged for the last 2-3 weeks buddy, the cable runs across the carpet and in front of the cupboard door which is why we only plug it in when watching a movie in bed

It's def been unplugged completely for the past few weeks

12. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,717
    In that case, my money's on your main SkyQ box running as an AP. If you can bear to be without TV for a few minutes, try powering it off and see what happens.

Or alternatively, turn off you broadband router and see if an SSID disappears. Obviously that'll mean the Internet gets knocked out for a while, but that shouldn't affect a laptop running InSSIDer.

I guess it's down to whichever creates the least disruption to domestic harmony whilst you test. :D

13. leebroath

leebroath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,327
    Hi Mick

Just switched the main Sky Q box off in the living room and would you believe it, that second wave on Inssider has now gone, I'm now left with just one which is from the Router