Help with driving directions around London?

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
I'm flying into Stanstead Airport on Saturday 28th May and will be driving to Kingston Upon Thames.

Mapquest suggests 3 routes, as shown in the attachment. Do I need to take anything else into account? It's a Saturday so traffic shouldn't be an issue, are there any roadworks etc to worry about?

My flight lands early so I'll probably be on the road for about 8am.

Attachments

• Driving.JPG
    Driving.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 91

Iccz

Distinguished Member
I'd take the blue route (M11) until M25 then the purple route M25 anti clockwise- don't know about any roadworks though.

This.

Personally I'd take the M25 over the North Circular, I've been advised twice to use the NC and have ended up taking ridiculously long to get where I needed to be, once meeting up with friends when finally arriving I found out they took the M25 and go there before me.

That's the second one from the list, MQ says it is about 40km more and 10 minutes longer.

Remember that these map sites do not give for traffic problem or consider that one road is more problematic than the other.
While the M25 has a bad rep, it has always been better than the North Circular for me.

Also does the 2nd on the list not go clockwise? The red line? :confused:

craig1912

Banned
That's the second one from the list, MQ says it is about 40km more and 10 minutes longer.

I thought it was a combination of two routes- the scond one is the blue route isn't it that uses the north circular. As above I would use the M25 over the North Circular

Last edited:

Iccz

Distinguished Member
I thought it was a combination of two routes- the scond one is the blue route isn't it that uses the north circular. As above I would use the M25 over the North Circular

The First one 82km is the Blue one:
M11 - North Circular (Shortest route shown on image)

The second one is confusing me but looks like the red drawn on line as it's M11 to M25

The third is the purple as that goes A10 to M25

I assume this is avoiding tolls as I'd expect to see the M11 direct that goes straight through the middle of London as the shortest/most direct route.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Yes - the green - M11, M25 Anti-Clockwise, you'll avoid the Dartford crossing on the red route that way and avoid the north circular of the blue.

You will of course want to check trafic updates for the M25 each way for any major delays as imightbewrong suggested.

sandstheman

Yes - the green - M11, M25 Anti-Clockwise, you'll avoid the Dartford crossing on the red route that way and avoid the north circular of the blue.

You will of course want to check trafic updates for the M25 each way for any major delays as imightbewrong suggested.

Thumbs up for this route too...should get you there in good time. :thumbsup:

nheather

Distinguished Member
I work in New Malden (close to Kingston) anddo a fair amount of business travel using Sanstead.

I have never risked crossing London and have always used the M25 - used both directions but mostly Dartford Tunnel side as it was more predictable.

M25 between Jn17 and M1 on the red route can get pretty congested because of long term roadworks at the moment.

Might be further, but I reckon it is faster and probably cheaper because there is no congestion charge.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

mrtbag

I'd go m11 and anti clockwise too. May also be worth doing a route check on the aa website when you land as you can switch on 'traffic alerts'. Alternatively, stop at Bishops Stortford services on the way down the M11 and they have the traffic alert boards for both ways round the M25.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Might be further, but I reckon it is faster and probably cheaper because there is no congestion charge.

OP is going on Saturday so hasn't that worry, but still the M25 is the best option, is there any reason why you tend to go for clockwise as opposed to anti?
Edit: just realised you said New Maiden, ignore me :p

sandstheman

I work in New Malden (close to Kingston) anddo a fair amount of business travel using Sanstead.

I have never risked crossing London and have always used the M25 - used both directions but mostly Dartford Tunnel side as it was more predictable.

M25 between Jn17 and M1 on the red route can get pretty congested because of long term roadworks at the moment.

Cheers,

Nigel

Depending on the time of day, going through London can be quite quick, i've been from Upminster to Heathrow at off-peak times through central (a13 > Tower Hill (a3211) > Embankment (a3212) and on to a4 and then M4) and made it across in 45min-1hr :)

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Depending on the time of day, going through London can be quite quick, i've been from Upminster to Heathrow at off-peak times through central (a13 > Tower Hill (a3211) > Embankment (a3212) and on to a4 and then M4) and made it across in 45min-1hr :)

Unless the person driving doesn't know where they are going / follows Tom Tom down all the wrong roads :laugh:

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
Agree fully with all the posts above about the M25

Take the M11 to the M25, then anticlockwise.

However, I would then recommend taking the M4 to junction 3 and the A312/313 Parkway/Faggs Road around Heathrow and into Kingston that way. That final stretch of the M25 around Staines is always the busiest, and you could easily get snarled up getting off onto the M3.

There is no route to Kingston which doesn't get difficult over the last 8 miles or so.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member

At the same time I've driven from there to the M11 - stuck is stand-still traffic on the M25, then turned off to go into london on the A12 - to be stuck in stand-still traffic (on a Saturday morning).

So it's the three Ts - Traffic Traffic Traffic

sandstheman

At the same time I've driven from there to the M11 - stuck is stand-still traffic on the M25, then turned off to go into london on the A12 - to be stuck in stand-still traffic (on a Saturday morning).

So it's the three Ts - Traffic Traffic Traffic

I avoid the A12 like the plague....Gants Hill/Ilford the Olympic works and Blackwall Tunnel just cripple that road. I'd rather take the extra 10min to go down to the A13 and make up the time with free'r flowing traffic

Scotteh

I live in Canary Wharf and whichever way you go, make sure you go AROUND London, even if I'm going to the M4 it's quicker for me to head up the A12, M11 then round the M25 than going through London.

A12 I've never really had an issue with unless there's been an actual problem on it and I drive on it a lot.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio