1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Dolby delay recommendations

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by prevailrob, Nov 16, 2003.

1. prevailrob

prevailrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I was looking at this chart on Dolbys website:

http://www.dolby.com/tech/ddfaq_figures/DDFAQ_fig20-3.html

Call me thick but I dont quite understand the chart, my rears are to ether side and slightly behind the seating area pretty much 2 feet ether side of where I sit and the fronts are about 6 feet away.

According to the chart should my delay for the rears be 0ms?

My amps a yammy 630, the only choices for delay settings are center and rear center.

Thanks for any advice,
    Cheers,
    Rob

2. prevailrob

prevailrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again peeps.

As I mentioned before, and some of you yamaha owners will know, it only allows for the center rear and center speaker delays to be set. Im not sure if this automatically calculates the delay for the rears or if it does nothing at all.

My rears are 2 feet either side of me and my fronts/center are 6 feet in front. Having searched the forums Ive found the formula for this being 6-2 = 4ms. So since I cant set the left/right delays I guess i have to set the center rear to 4ms?

I´m overly confused cos I had it set to 2 before and i cant seem to her a difference, dunno if its cos ive been pratting around with settings so long my ears are just dead :)

Cheers,
    Rob

3. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I got the same amp and would also like to hear some expert advice (or at least, advice from someone who isn't quite as stupid as I am).

If I remember correctly, the surround delays are different for different DSP modes.

I've currently got my front centre delay at about 1 ms (it's in line with my L and R), and the surround delay is at default for "normal" DSP mode, which is 4ms I think. I don't have a centre rear.

I started trying to set it up by ear, but got bored and played Halo till my head fell off

4. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I would ignore the chart, for Dolby Digital it's easier to calculate it yourself in a similar way they show for the centre delay in Q21 in that FAQ.

Meaure distance from L (and R) to listening position = M
    Measure distance fom Ctr to listening position = C
    Measure distance from rear speaker to listening position = R

Assuming Main speakers are the furthest away from you, then they are the zero delay reference and:

Centre delay = 0.9*(M-C) ms.
    Rear delay =0.9*(M-R) ms

As described on the Dolby web site http://www.dolby.com/tech/co.br.0103.DDFAQ.html#q20

(they use 1ms/ft, but 0.9 is more accurate)

5. prevailrob

prevailrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fanks for that dave

Ive worked it out as 4ms delay for the rears.

I suppose I put this amount as the delay for the Rear Center as that is the only setting i can set it for. At the moment I cant tell a difference between this setting and what I used to have it at (2)

Cheers,
    Rob

6. prevailrob

prevailrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing Ive noticed, hopefully any Yamaha 6*0 owners can shed some light on this: When im in , lets say, DD or DTS mode, if i press the down arrow on my remote I get a delay option that I can adjust by pressing left or right. Initially DTS was set to 2 and DD to 3. Ive set both to 4 in any case. Is this correct i wonder?

Cheers

Rob

7. prevailrob

prevailrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I think I´ve got this sussed now. After RTFM a little bit, and browsing this forum and tinkering a bit, I´ve come to the conclusion that you have to set the rear centre to the difference between you, it, and the front.

Or basically, set the delay as if you were sat bang smack in the middle. So considering fronts are 6 feet away, and rears about a foot behind (if any, cos they are to the sides) i set the delay for the centre rear at 5ms.
    And I must say it sounds about right, although, i always end up saying that :D :D

Cheers,
    Rob