Help with DMR-EX77 setup

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nc35, Jan 9, 2008.

1. nc35

nc35
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Still a new user here so please be kind.

Read the reviews and post and finally purchased the EX77. Well it got here 30 mins ago and I am stuck :confused::confused:

Not an easy setup where I live - we have absolutely NO TERRESTRIAL signal not even an aerial on the roof (don't even ask about mobile reception!!!). So all our TV comes from a basic SKY box (on freeview).

We have a Toshiba 42Z3030D with dual HDMI the sky box and now the Panasonic box. Wife would like to record TV

So scart from Sky to DVD to TV I think...

Can't get the new Panasonic remote to work, but the machine has tried to setup, but for the life of me I can't get sky on the tv now???

Please help - any clues on the remote / setup.

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,098
    Recheck the polarity of the batteries in the remote control.

Does the display on the machine give any message at all when you press any button on the remote?

Can you describe your current connections please.

3. nc35

nc35
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep checked and rechecked the batteries... Tried new batteries, batteries from another "working" remote...

Scart from bottom of the two sky scarts to bottom of the DVD
    Scart from top of DVD to Scart 1 on TV

Also the HDMI (free cable) from the DVD to HDMI 1 on the TV

Basically I (in my own words) looped out the Sky scart to the DVD from the back of the TV and put another Scart from the DVD to the TV. I did think this was going to be easy but.....

Ages ago when we had a VHS this is what I recall doing, and the Sky signal "passed through" the VHS player either when the player was on or off, so long and the player was plugged in....

Won't get to do owt else until I get a remote that works, but short of taking the DVD out I don't know what to do.

Please please help :lease:

4. rogercw

rogercw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm no expert, but I would connect the Sky box direct to the TV with another SCART cable. At least you will now be able to watch TV again. I don't know how other people do recording, but I only turn on my recorder if I need to use it.

I'll leave it to the experts to help you figure out why your new set up isn't working.

5. bigalt

bigalt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The machine might be set to power save mode which does not allow the signal to pass through when the machine is off. Don't know how you could check it if the remote is not working.

6. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,098
    The reason I asked if the display showed anything when you press a button is that it would indicate if the remote is set to the wrong coding - which can be remedied. [ Does it by any chance show : DVD1 or DVD2 or DVD 3 ? ]

Also, you can do a basic functional check of a remote using a camera or camcorder if you have one provided they have an electronic, not optical , viewfinder.
    If you point the remote at the lens of the camera, the sensor is sensitive to the infra-red and will show up on the viewfinder- It should pulse at about 5 hertz. That will tell you that it is outputting at least.
    If you get no results then clearly the remote has a problem.
    That scart arrangement is fine ... [ Note that better quality can be obtained using the TV output from the skybox - but the most important issue currently is just getting you working]

You will get pass through with this arrangement but only as bigalt points out above, if the Power save mode is turned off - which you can do in Functions / To others / Setup / Others / Power save.

In this condition you will see sky when the EX77 is off [ via the scart routes - I'm ignoring HDMI for the moment ]

To see and record sky when the EX77 is ON, you must select AV2 [ A2 in the display] as the input on the EX77.

Obviously - you cannot do any of this setup properly until you get the remote issue sorted out.
    Also - I suggest you disconnect the HDMI until you get all other issues sorted out... HDMI setup can be very problematic - Get the system up and running before complicating it with that issue.

7. Adrian_F

Adrian_F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    nc35
    Can you turn the display on by using the Standby button on the EX77 itself (far left corner)? If you can then open the flap under the display and using the channel up/down buttons, press the down button repeatedly until A2 is displayed. If the Digibox is now switched on you should be able to view it through the EX77.

8. nc35

nc35
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you everyone

Still no joy with the remote :(

But pressed the buttons and got A2 & a Picture :)

So just got to figure out the remote issue. The trader is online and not quick to reply

So I am going to give Panasonic a go wish me luck.

Gavtech can you please enlighten me??? "[ Note that better quality can be obtained using the TV output from the skybox - but the most important issue currently is just getting you working]"

Do you mean what I would call the co-ax link cables?

Thanks

Lee

9. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,098
    Hi Lee.

I was referring to the scart outlets.

Satboxes typically have two scart outlets... One is usually marked 'TV and the other 'VCR' or 'Aux'

You can plug into either... but a better quality output is obtained from the TV socket [ Namely: RGB ]
    It is better to use this socket because it means that recordings you make will be in the best possible quality, plus you will be able to watch in good quality too using the pass-through facility of the EX77 - which will feed on the high quality RGB to the TV.... or would if you were intending to use a scart feed as your main feed from the EX77... Otherwise the RGB is taken and digitised and fed through HDMI.

Note that HDMI is an active interface which is only active when the EX77 is powered ON.
    Does your sky box have an HDMI output socket?
    Is it currently connected to the TV?

Good luck with the remote.

10. nc35

nc35
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gavtech

Very quick reply - wow

Still a little confused RGB used to mean the composite phono connectors to me, but as I said quite out of touch now with modern terms & AV technology...

I will try the scart in the top socket on the DVD recorder just wondering if this is A1 as opposed to A2, The player defaults to A1 when switched on, don't worry I will work this out later :)

No, the sky box is about 6 months old so relatively new, but has no HDMI sockets. Just basic Sky - got a 6 month "package" from Dixons for £75. Won't be subscribing to Sky - FTA is more than I need :)

11. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,098
    I think you probably meant to say 'component phono sockets' there.
    Composite is the lowest quality level of video.
    Component is equivalent to, and a reciprocally inverted form of RGB... so also very good quality.
    The sockets on the DVDR are less interchangeable.
    The top scart [AV1] is really intended for the TV output and AV2 [ Bottom scart] for the input from other devices.

You may get it to work feeding into AV1 - but I do not generally recommend doing so. There will be other settings that will impact and cause behavioural problems.

12. zoltan

zoltan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi sorry to impose but I have been reading all this info about connections to the 77 and was wanted to ask gavtech would I get a better picture if I connected my ex77 to my plasma via a HDMI TO DVI as i have no HDMI on the plasma. I have it cionnected via scart at the moe.
    Thanks
    Zoltan

13. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,098
    HDMI is no better than RGB from an underlying quality point of view. In fact they are the same quality - as the RGB is the source which is then digitised and sent across the link.

What it does offer is the opportunity for upscaling... but upscaling is simply fakery and it does not improve the quality one jot... but some like to think it does and prefer it.
    Also the TV panel upscales in any case and so upscaling by the source is needless.

HDMI is restictive and slow. It is an active interface that cannot work until it has booted.

It has the advantage of being one simple cable for both sound and vision.
    Not an issue for you as you are already connected up.

All that said, there is one critical factor in your case that will make it unlikely to work at all ... or if it does, in very limited fashion.

Two things need to be communicated across the link before it will fully work. The source needs to see that it is connected to a HDCP compliant unit [High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection] and the DVDR needs to learn from the TV what resolutions it supports.
    If it cannot get these - then it will not connect... and unfortunately these parameters will not cross a HDMI / DVI converter link.

So I think you are stuck as you are.... but you really are not missing anything.

14. zoltan

zoltan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick response buddy

15. MuksC

MuksC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    that's great, thanks for that info!

16. zoltan

zoltan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Gavtech but just one more thing as Colombo would say the reason I asked about the hdmi was when im recording from the dtv on the ex77 I cant watch sky as it is connected through the ex77 but the sky box has an s video out put and I have an s video on the plasma would that give a satisfactory answer to my prob or am I missing something here as im not to good with av its all new to me

17. MuksC

MuksC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    you could watch Sky if the Sky box was connected to the TV directly.

if it's only connected through the recorder, then the recording must be a timer recording, so you can switch it to standby, and you need to have Power Save mode OFF in the recorder's setup menu, which will then allow the Sky signal to pass-through the recorder while it's recording a freeview channel.

18. zoltan

zoltan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MuksC thats my prob I dont have it connected direct to the plasma and the only sockets I have left are DVI or s video

19. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,098
    Do as Muks suggests - Check that Power save mode is turned Off.

Find it in Functions / To others / Setup / Others.

That will allow you to watch sky whilst the EX77 records... provided it is a timer recording and the EX77 is switched off.

20. MuksC

MuksC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    so do as i suggested, switch Power Save Mode OFF in the menu (Functions Menu> To Others> Setup> Others, then switch Power Save to off), and when recording, make sure it's a timer recording so you can switch the recorder off (it continues to record while in standby), and then you should see the Sky signal on the same input.

edit: cross-posted same time as Gav

21. zoltan

zoltan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I all ready have it off but unless its a timer recorded programe it cant watch sky so what im asking is the s video connection from sky an ok way to veiw sky if i am recording no with the timer. sorry if i didnt make my self clear.
    :oops:

22. MuksC

MuksC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    because it's not possible both Gav and I have suggested you make sure future recordings are timer recordings and the unit is in standby with Power Save Mode OFF ;)

while recording, you can't change to a different source/input, so you can't switch to the S-Video input while recording freeview. and while the machine is off (standby), the only input that is active is the AV2 scart on the back, providing Power Save is OFF.

23. zoltan

zoltan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so because I am using the dvd recorder its not possible to connect the sky plus box direct to the plasma via s video I wonder what the s video connection on the box is for?

24. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    anything connected directly to the tv can be watched on the tv

but this question related to a dvd recorder , not a tv

so if you can connect your sky box , or any other box to the tv , the tv is then monitoring what the stb is tuned into , whatever that may be

but when its connected via the recorder , different parameters apply , depending on the recorder

so the best course of action is always to connect the stb to the tv as well as the recorder , so the stb can be watched when the recorder is busy recording something else

so in simple terms

if the recorder is recording freeview , a sky box directly connected to the tv can be watched no matter what the recorder is doing

25. zoltan

zoltan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im sorry ram but i said that the sky box has an s-video out-put and can i connect it to my plasma. I have never used-video before and just wondered if the quality would be fine.

26. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    no idea m8 as I dont have sky plus or a plasma ( cant afford it ) , but s-video is an old technology and not as good as hdmi and component , and not as good as rgb either

if you really want help with your system you should start your own thread and not hijack someone elses which was about a panasonic dvd recorder

ok ?

thanks

27. MuksC

MuksC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    oh sorry, i seem to have got the wrong end of the stick.

if you connect the Sky box to the TV by s-video, it should let you watch it, if you can't watch it through the recorder using pass-through.

but i think the quality won't be as good as through scart, so the best option is still to make timer recordings, put the recorder into standby, and then use pass-through.

why don't you try out the s-video connection and see how it compares?

28. zoltan

zoltan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MuksC i will. Ram as for hijacking my original question was about the original post but I was asking MuksC a follow on query

29. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    yes but its confusing as there are 2 issues now on the go , not the original one , which as you can see is now confusing everyone and is disrespectful to the person originating the thread , as you should have started your own thread as soon as you went off topic with your own problems

as for your system , the basics are to connect the sky box to your tv as well as to the recorder

how you do this depends on your connections , but tends to be scart as most boxes have 2 scarts

so the standard method would be scart to recorder and scart to tv from a sky box

then record on the recorder and watch the tv on the appropriate input

bear in mind there is no sound on s-video , its purely video only , so needs a separate sound connection

30. nc35

nc35
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gavtech

sorry to be a pain. Not getting far with the remote being replaced, they think the whole unit will have to go back :(

But... Left the batteries out of the remote for a few days to see if it would reset. Now when I press any button the display shows - DVD1

Do you think you can explain how to remedy this please

Many thanks

Lee