1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with distribution solution.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by CYRUStheVIRUS, Jun 2, 2005.

1. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I need to go from a computer- (Hi quality as possible) in to some clever box that will allow me to connect to a plasma/lcd- (Hi-quality as possible) but also have an Rf output so i can break into a tv distribution system (uhf).

Any ideas/ does that make sense? :D

2. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    Does the computer not have an s-video or composite out that you can feed to a modulator / cheap vcr? Most video cards do?
    A secondhand SVHS VCR will probably give the best RF modulation of the feed for the money.

3. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Left out the most important bit, that the box must have tuner.
    Video recorder would work but no option for 1 high quality connection.

4. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    I'm confused, what exactly do you want to do???

5. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have to take an animation from a computer and put it on 20 tv,s through their uhf distribution system. They have recently added a plasma/lcd to each place. So far we have been using the same distribution system so pic is awful.

As the plasma has no built in Tuner, I want to find a box that will let me connect to both and have a inbuilt tuner. eg-dvi/hdmi/component/rgb into plasma but the box also has output to tv banks.

Confusing myself now. :confused:

6. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,522
    CYRUStheVIRUS

You cant 'downgrade' the PC output to fire it over an RF Distribution system and then hope its going to look like it does on your PC Desktop once its on a large public display screen.

I hope I'm not teaching my granny to suck eggs but you should be working with a 'Preview' monitor next to the authoring PC and have the Preview wired as per the final installation (the Preview should be one of the intended public display screens) - it makes for chunky looking graphics on your PC but does mean the intended audience can see your handiwork on the distributed network.

Otherwise install MPEG players at each screen and Input a decent signal into the Display - if you need to make frequent updates to the content use a wireless solution.

Best regards

Joe

8. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for reply, but i am not trying to improve the pic on the T.V's that are already in place (Nothing i can do about them).
    I was wondering if instead of installing two cards (one dedicated for plasma /lcd) i could buy some sort of box that would have both rf and DVI/COMPONENT/RGB outputs and maybe a Tuner (as the Plasma/lcd may not have built in tuner).

I am more looking for a one box solution, instead of having to run a new cable everytime they want to use the image on another of their screens.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,522
    CYRUSthe VIRUS

So you want a box with a DVI Out + simultaneous RF Out + TV Tuner?

I still don't have a clue what your doing - I thought there was a new Plasma Display at each place!

Do you mean you want to distribute the signal to a CRT TV via RF plus a Plasma Display via DVI to one of each at 20 locations?

Joe

10. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yes they are all crt's and a uhf distribution is already in place.
    We are putting additional Plasma/lcd (1 max 2) in every install.
    They basically want option to put on any screen (at the moment we just go straight into their system). I only want to run 1 hi-quality cable to plasma (component would do) but the same media box could output to their system.
    Thanks anyway.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,522
    CYRUStheVIRUS

Aren't you over complicating the Display end if you already have the RF Distribution in place - I'd make the head end a 21 (or 22 if you need a local monitor on the PC) Output distribution system and put 1 x the PC to RF box you linked to earlier (or something similar) on Output 21.

I'd stick with a 'PC' Distribution Amp or CAT 5 with suitable adapters - run 2 x CAT5 to each of the NEW Displays and you can then run RGBHV as Analogue or Digital over the CAT5.

YUV is a video signal - better to stick with RGBHV via HD15(VGA) or DVI if your source is a PC and your Displays are PC enabled.

Pulling a Three core YUV cable is no easier than pulling a Five core RGBHV cable for Analogue from the PC.

Have you settled on the Plasma Displays as yet - the likes of Panasonic and Pioneer incorporate some features that may do what you want on CAT5 direct to the display or as a daisy chain from Display to Display.

Best regards

Joe

12. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The plasma was a 37" panasonic and the LCD was a Sharp Aqua jobby.
    I want one solution for multiple sites so could probably influence the screens that are fitted. Forgot to add (and to complicate things further ) they want the option of displaying their sky/terrestrial tv on the plasma (hence the tuner need).

First install i just broke into their distribution system and into a seperate tuner box before the plasma. All screens can show what is on pc (it is mainly archived recorded video and simple graphics) and also sky, terrestrial.

It would be better if they bought whole new distribution system, but they do not want to spend lots on each site.

13. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    The Belkin ones we have at work are pretty awful for use on a 15 inch screen over about 20m (we use the KVM over Cat 5 for our public access foyer PCs) - I certainly wouldn't use them for a big plasma unless I really had to....

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,522
  15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Dont stress about the TUNER............ a tuner or sky feed can be incorperated quite easily, get the distribution right if you try and polish a turd you will be there for ever if you must make a PC signal RF then that can be done but much better to upgrade the whole system to RGBHV (unless the CRT monitors are very old) then you may be able to use RGBHV for them too........

16. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    Yeah, but we were on a tight budget, installed it all ourselves, and the suppliers sent us 4 instead of 1 to try by mistake ;)

The reason for doing it was to replace 4 unreliable NetVectras or whatever they are called running Windows CE with 4 machines (located elsewhere) running XP - people are just happy that they don't have to be rebooted every 5 minutes, and don't tend to moan about the picture :)

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,522
    Hello SeanT

The classics trap - budget getting in the way of PQ; you need to push for some new budget to improve the quality of the system!!!

Best regards

Joe