1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Dimmer

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by ousime, Mar 17, 2005.

1. ousime

ousime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a total novice, and need help! I have a dimmer switch with Halogens - installed in the flat when I bought it. The dimmer recently gave off a wonderful blue spark and tripped the system - and now the light switch doesn't work at all. I'm guessing I have to replace the inside component of the light switch (is it a transformer?), but I can't find anything on the web. Does anyone know where I can find such a thing? It's a cuboid, about the size of a thumb. Thanks (hopefully).

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    A whole new switch. Easier. And buy one that's rated for halogen lamps. Also, if they are low voltage ones, make sure the dimmer is rated for low voltage.

Before you buy it, though, replace it temporarily with a regular switch, just to check that the lights and/or transformers themselves aren't damaged.

3. mrdimmer

mrdimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Little bit of extra information.

It is impossible for a dimmer to fuse the lights. The most likely explanation is that a lamp blew which can cause a plasma which will both trip the lights and can destroy dimmers. I would reccommend using only high quality branded halogen lamps to prevent the same thing happening again.

John