Help with Digitheatre please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mikeb_78, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Mikeb_78

Mikeb_78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now bear with me, this is kinda long.

I've got a Videologic 5.1 speaker system with decoder connected to an Xbox and a Pioneer 545 DVD player.

The Xbox is scart connected with the Advanced Scart adaptor to the RGB scart of the TV. The optical lead is connected to the decoder.

The DVD player is connected to the S-Video socket on the TV, using a scart adaptor. The coaxial lead is connected to the decoder.

Here's the problem. When I turn the Xbox on, I get a loud buzzing from all speakers which is evident from low volume that gets louder as I turn the speakers volume up... I understand about the hum that the system is known for and its not that.

The speakers are not bearable with this buzzing. If I remove the AV connector from the Xbox, the buzzing stops.

If I take out the Coaxial lead from the decoder (connected to DVD player), the buzz is lessened very much so.

I've been playing all day trying to fix this, and if I swap the Xbox for the PS2, so it is set up in the same way the Xbox was, I get a buzz but no where near as loud as when the Xbox is hooked up. Still suggests it's a problem at the digitheatre end, maybe the Xbox puts more power through, I don't know...

I can eliminate the decoder by just holding the end of the scart socket that is connected to the Xbox in one hand and then hold the end of the coax cable that is in the decoder in the other hand. I get the same buzz. No power going to the decoder either.

Also I can hold the end of the audio lead that is connected to the sub/amp and touch the end of the scart from the Xbox and I still get the buzzing.

I've just had the Xbox repaired as it had a noisy fan, and it didn't do this before. Could it be that when it was fixed, the shielding (rf?) wasn't put back properly? ,if the Xbox has shielding...

Or is it more likley the amp?

PLEASE, PLEASE help on this.

2. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar problem with the DigiTheatre until today, connecting a DVD player via SCART/PHONO/S-VIDEO to a TV set while using co-axial digital out caused the annoying buzzing noise in the background, touching the co-axial cable even without it being plugged directly into the Digitheatre would cause the same sound.

There is a solution but it might not be ideal for X-Box (not sure about the outputs on the back), take out the co-axial lead and put it in a safe place, grab an optical Toslink to Toslink cable and plug this into the optical port(s) at the back of your Digitheatre and Xbox - the buzzing will vanish.

My theory is that if you connect a scart lead and any other type of co-axial connection to the back of certain DVD players/consoles the digitheatre conflicts with the metal edges of the leads and doesn't ground out correctly. Using the optical cable elliminates this because you are not connecting metal to metal, in fact your connecting light signals to another light signal - no conflict!

Trust me it works.