1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with digital box

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by InsertNameHere, Jan 13, 2004.

1. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi people

Just picked by a Nokia 221T Digital box and I have to say I have mixed feelings about it. There seems to be an improvement in ‘overall’ picture quality and I like the features and navigation menus on the unit. However, after having it for only one day, I’ve already experienced two crashes where the screen has totally frozen – one time whilst viewing Teletext and another whilst using the navigation menu. On both times I’ve had to resort to unplugging the box and plugging it back in again – something which I don’t like doing. Also, I don’t know whether this is the case with all units out there but when I switch from Analogue channels to Digital channels the screen is noticeably darker and it doesn’t seem to be as sharp. Maybe that’s somewhat down to the darkening of the screen? I don’t think so but hey...

Now I can change the brightness / contrast etc on my TV to suit the digital image a bit more but at the cost of making the picture on my Analogue stations (or any video that’s playing) too bright. Has anyone else experienced this?

I looked at the ‘System Information’ which details the following:

Hardware version: 5
    System Software: 221T 1.1.2
    Boot Software version: 1.3

MHEG Library vM1.0.1c

On the Nokia website and I see there is an update for this unit (v1.1.5) but I don’t have the necessary cables to update the software and the update tool on the box doesn’t seem to work - it can’t find anything. Apparently I'm already up-to-date. Does anyone know what this actually fixes? Perhaps the freezing issue (if it isn’t limited to this unit)? Or perhaps the picture colour?

In terms of setup I’m running it through a Sony Video Recorder (SLV-SE 830) and viewing it all on a Sony TV (sorry, I don’t know the model number off hand). Not sure if this is of any help but I thought it *might* explain something, i.e. any ‘dislikes’ it has with certain equipment etc. ;)

Cheers for any suggestions / feedback.

Alex

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Eh - your digital image are yout Terrestrial stations!!!

Just get the TV right for RGB sources and stuff all the others:smashin:

You don't need your TV tuner so much since you are now using DTTV, as to a vcr picture - they are all bad anyway so why worry!

3. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the reply.

Yeah that wasn’t very clear. When I mentioned Terrestrial, I meant Analogue… (and of course digital meaning digital - no matter what channels I were referring to). I think I’ll edit the above just to straighten that out.

Anyway, what I’m saying is when you press ‘0’ on the Nokia remote, you switch between digital TV and analogue TV. This is when you notice a lightening / darkening of the picture. I agree this isn’t too much of a problem with the channels (1 to 5) since they can be viewed through the box anyway. However, it IS a problem when using my video recorder.

Sorry if there was any confusion there.

Alex

(By the way I’m a novice here (like you couldn’t already guess ;)) but isn’t the video recorder a RGB source as well as the Digital box? If so, shouldn’t the contrast / brightness be the same? No? Or have I just demonstrated my ignorance? ;) Cheers…)

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My first reply was a little flippant :)
    Anyway, I don't know if there is an adjustment in the box for any levels but it is worth a look.

VCRs don't do RGB just composite.

I have a similar problem I have to use MOVIE mode with any non RGB source and that is always a little dark (SVM disabled) but that is one VCR.

Balancing levels between inputs can't be done.

As before I'd say stuff the Vcr quality it is not good anyway and get it right for the DTTV box!

5. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looked at my ‘System Information’:

Hardware version: 5
    System Software: 221T 1.5
    Boot Software version: 1.3

So I guess you need to catch the next on-air update.

Normally, when it's being transmitted, you'll see the option appear on-screen when you switch ON from standby.

I don't know when the next update is due but it's usually posted around the forums when it happens.

I should add that we haven't had many problems with ours, although it did "lock up" last week and we had to pull the plug to "reboot" it.