1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Diamond 8 surround kit

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GodtheDJ, May 28, 2003.

1. GodtheDJ

GodtheDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering the Diamond 8 screen package to go with a new TV for a HC setup. The restrictions of the room mean that the speakers will be placed around 32cm away from the set. Is this far enough, as I am unsure if they should be placed this close as I don't know if they are shielded. Although in a brochure I found on their site, the diagram shows a cut-away view of the speakers drive units:

[​IMG]

It mentions a 'shielding can' at the top of the picture, does this mean they are shielded? Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions but I don't want to arse up the new TV, thanks for any help! :cool:

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Got this reply from wharfdale.

Only the centre channel is shielded as standard. The rest should really be
    around 50cm from the side of the television.

Best Regards

David Patching
    Marketing

So that means no.

3. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I've had a pair of Diamond 8.1s on stands as my fronts and they are about 30cm from my 29" Sony TV. They've been there for nearly 2 years and have never caused the TV the slightest problem. However, when I tried a pair of Mission floorstanders (774s) they did cause the TV picture to go green at the edges unless they were about 45cm from the set.

I've owned some Diamond 8.3s but found the 8.1s on decent stands to sound far better. I also found that they sounded better without a centre speaker in my room (only 2 of us watching in our flat so we are always seated centrally between the main speakers).

4. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the 8.3's 30cm from my tv for about a year and there's been no affect to the tv. I Must admit that I thought the speakers were shielded. Bit of slip by Wharfedale selling a cinema package which is not magnetically shielded. Still great speakers though.