Help with Denon X4700H

Scudz

I’ve recently purchased a Denon X4700H and Sony Bravia A80J. I stream content using Google TV which is built into the Sony. The TV and receiver are connected via HDMI cord at their eARC ports.
The only external device is an Oppo DVD player which is connected to the “Blueray” port on the receiver.

I am having a volume problem with AVR. It will not get very loud when streaming through Google (i.e. Prime, Netflix, YouTube TV, etc.).

The Blueray portion works just fine. I have the ability to adjust the source level for the Blueray input but can’t figure out how to raise the volume for everything else since it is not connected to the AVR through an “input”.

Does anyone have a solution?

Additionally, I’m having issues getting Blueray video to show on the TV screen. It seems there are way too many button pushes to get Blueray to work. I have to press the “Blueray” button on the Denon remote and audio comes on. Then I have to press the eARC input on the Sony remote and then power off then on my Blueray player to get video to display on the TV screen.

Does anyone have a solution for this issue?

My Pioneer Elite SC AVR recently failed with a UE22 error and it was connected to a Panasonic Plasma. These components worked flawlessly together and the pioneer phone app was so much better than the Denon app. I now have buyer’s remorse!

Thanks for the help in advance.

Scudz

NOTE: I only have one button push to go back to streaming video and audio content. I simply push the input button on the tv remote for the desired platform.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
I’ve recently purchased a Denon X4700H and Sony Bravia A80J. I stream content using Google TV which is built into the Sony. The TV and receiver are connected via HDMI cord at their eARC ports.
The only external device is an Oppo DVD player which is connected to the “Blueray” port on the receiver.

I am having a volume problem with AVR. It will not get very loud when streaming through Google (i.e. Prime, Netflix, YouTube TV, etc.).

The Blueray portion works just fine. I have the ability to adjust the source level for the Blueray input but can’t figure out how to raise the volume for everything else since it is not connected to the AVR through an “input”.
The TV is connected to the AVR through the earc input. Then should either auto select if using HDMI CEC or be manually selectable via a remote button (TV on mine).
Additionally, I’m having issues getting Blueray video to show on the TV screen. It seems there are way too many button pushes to get Blueray to work. I have to press the “Blueray” button on the Denon remote and audio comes on. Then I have to press the eARC input on the Sony remote and then power off then on my Blueray player to get video to display on the TV screen.
Sounds like something is wrong with your 4700H input settings. To get the blu-ray to have audio+video should be a one button press on the AVR remote.
Can you show a photo of your 4700H input settings screen and HDMI settings screen?

Scudz

Sorry, but I don’t understand your response to my first question and am not sure how to find the screens you would like a photo of.

I take a look and see what I can do.

Scudz

7F81760F-F510-4764-AB7B-DEA725466B3D.jpeg

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
Try removing analog 5 off TV Audio. You have duplicate setting for this input: ARC and an analog RCA connection.
Check you have HDMI Control: On and ARC: On in the X4700H Video | HDMI Setup menu.
Then try powering everything off at the wall plug (TV, X4700H, Oppo) and then back on again with the TV first and Oppo last.

Last edited:

Scudz

Sorry for my lack of knowledge associated with this equipment. It looks like I have removed analog 5 off of TV audio. I have no physical RCA connection between the TV and DVR.

Attachments

• 3E145A7E-5FE4-45FC-9D97-716E212C7E8D.jpeg
    3E145A7E-5FE4-45FC-9D97-716E212C7E8D.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 30

Scudz

Here is where I stand on HDMI control.

Attachments

• 7C6D781A-0562-41A3-BB31-B1E8AEACDDB5.jpeg
    7C6D781A-0562-41A3-BB31-B1E8AEACDDB5.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 28

Scudz

I’ll give it a try as soon as I can. I’ve been in and out all day. I powered everything down, unplugged my surge protector to do so and it turned my TV and AVR back on at the same time. My Oppo is not fixed yet.

Thanks, all post any updates when I can.

Scudz

I’ve had improvements on volume. I’ve done what you have advised. I’ve also ran Audyssey again and then manually set my front towers and rear surrounds to small (previously set to large). It now seems that I can get the volume a little beyond my maximum comfortable listening volume.

If I switch to Blueray, the Denon can make the sound extremely loud.

Last edited:

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
I’ve had improvements on volume. I’ve done what you have advised. I’ve also ran Audyssey again and then manually set my front towers and rear surrounds to small (previously set to large). It now seems that I can a little beyond my maximum comfortable listening volume.

If I switch to Blueray, the Denon can make the sound extremely loud.
Do you still have the problem re selecting blu-ray?
I’m having issues getting Blueray video to show on the TV screen. It seems there are way too many button pushes to get Blueray to work. I have to press the “Blueray” button on the Denon remote and audio comes on. Then I have to press the eARC input on the Sony remote and then power off then on my Blueray player to get video to display on the TV screen.

Scudz

I still can’t get the swap to Blueray down to a single button push. I have to select eARC as the input on the TV remote and then select Blueray on the Denon remote. Then sometimes I have to turn my Oppo off the back on to get the Blueray video on the screen.

The swap back to regular streaming is a one button push on the TV remote.

DavidT

With an AVR all your sources, excluding on board TV streaming channels, are connected to the AVR inputs. The AVR output is connected to the TV's eARC HDMI port which on Sony TV's is HDMI3. Is this how you are connected?

Scudz

Yes, the only external source is the Blueray player, which is connected to the Denon as an input.

I have an HDMI cable connected from TV port 3 to the Denon HDMI out eARC port.

DavidT

Yes, the only external source is the Blueray player, which is connected to the Denon as an input.

I have an HDMI cable connected from TV port 3 to the Denon HDMI out eARC port.
My Sony TV shows my BR player as a input on the TV so if I have the AVR switched on and I switch on the BR player the AVR and TV automatically switch to the correct inputs. I can also select the BR player source on the TV and the AVR will automatically select the correct HDMI input for the BR player.

Scudz

DavidT,

I don’t understand how your TV shows the BR player as an input if it is connected to the DVR.

I assume your BR player is connected to the AVR the same way mine is.

DavidT

DavidT,

I don’t understand how your TV shows the BR player as an input if it is connected to the DVR.

I assume your BR player is connected to the AVR the same way mine is.
My TV has both my BR player and my VirginMedia STB as inputs on the TV, I can select either input on the TV and switch to the device even with the AVR not switched on.

DavidT

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Disney+ confirms price increases coming in December
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung unveils Galaxy Z Flip 4 and Fold 4 smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022