Question Help with Denon S960H, Samsung Q80T, and PS5

usfpaul82

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I am hoping someone can help me out. I just picked up a Samsung Q80T 65", Denon S960H, and a PS5. I currently have the PS5 going into the 8K HDMI input into the Denon, then the Denon going into the TV HDMI input 4 to take advantage of HDMI 2.1. Everything works fine there, I am getting 4K120 input to Denon and back out to the TV. The problem is that I want to also bring the TV sound back to the AVR for the TV native APPs. I know we need eARC for this, but this is only on TV HDMI input 3. I was thinking I can utilize the two HDMI outputs on the AVR to make this work...so I used AVR HDMI output 1 (eARC) into the TV Input 3 (eARC). Then I used AVR output 2 into the TV input 4 (HDMI 2.1). This works as far as getting the TV audio back to the Denon, but when I play the PS5, it is automatically sending the AVR signal out of output 1 (eARC) and into the TV input 3. What I need is for the PS5 to use AVR output 2 which goes into TV input 4.

Is there a way to assign a specific AVR HDMI input to a specific AVR output for my Denon S960H?

Welcome to the Forum.

For eARC to work correctly you only need a single HDMI connection between the AV amp and the TV to the corresponding eARC output and inputs. Your problem is by having two HDMI out from the AV amp. Use only the eARC connection.

Welcome to the Forum.

For eARC to work correctly you only need a single HDMI connection between the AV amp and the TV to the corresponding eARC output and inputs. Your problem is by having two HDMI out from the AV amp. Use only the eARC connection.

Thanks for the reply! The problem is the eARC connection on the TV does not support 2.1, which will limit the PS5's 4K/120H output. The TV has 2.1 and eARC on separate inputs.

Connection 1 : TV equipped with an HDMI connector and compatible with the ARC (Audio Return Channel) / eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel)

Use an HDMI cable to connect a TV that is compatible with the ARC / eARC function to this unit.
Set “HDMI Control” to “On” or “ARC” to “On” when using a TV that supports the ARC function. link
Using an eARC function-compatible television enables audio playback from the speaker connected to this unit, regardless of “HDMI Control” and “ARC” settings in the menu.
Conne HDMITV1 S96E3

When using the ARC / eARC function, connect to the HDMI MONITOR 1 connector.
eARC function settings may be required depending on the eARC function-compatible television you are using. Make sure eARC is set to on if this setting exists on your television. For more information, check your television’s owner’s manual.
When an ARC and eARC function-compatible television is connected, the eARC function is prioritized.
Use a “High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet” when using an ARC / eARC function-compatible television.
Use an “Ultra High Speed 48 Gbps HDMI cable” to enjoy 8K video.
Set “4K/8K Signal Format” to “8K Enhanced” in the menu to enjoy 8K video. link

INTEGRATED NETWORK AV RECEIVER
© 2020 Sound United. All Rights Reserved.

Connect the PS5 by HDMI to the correct port on the TV only. Use eARC for audio from the TV to the Denon. eARC is capable to returning HD audio back to the Denon. Only have the one HDMI between the TV and the Denon.

Connect the PS5 by HDMI to the correct port on the TV only. Use eARC for audio from the TV to the Denon. eARC is capable to returning HD audio back to the Denon. Only have the one HDMI between the TV and the Denon.

I did try that initially and was only getting Stereo output from the eARC to the AVR when using the PS5. I believe I read somewhere that the samsung Q80T was having issues correctly sending 5.1/7.1 via eARC back to the AVR....unless I have a setting wrong somewhere (which is very possible).

Am I allowed to post this link?

Yes, as it helpful to other members.

I can't help you with the TV connection if there is a problem, I'm not a Samsung owner nor do I have any interest in gaming. Hopefully Samsung can correct the issue with a firmware update. The whole idea of eARC is to make the connection much more stable with all manufacturers working to one standard unlike the old ARC which was so unreliable. It also allows for full uncompressed HD audio to be replayed back to any eARC compliant AV amp. Samsung it seems has dropped the ball.

Did you fix your issue here? Please let us know what happened.

I just bought the q80t and already have a ps5. Now, looking for a replacement to my old denon I was going to buy the new Avr x2700 but realized the q80t hdmi2.1 output doesnt have a eARC compatibility to return the sound of TV apps do receiver.

Did you fix your issue here? Please let us know what happened.

I just bought the q80t and already have a ps5. Now, looking for a replacement to my old denon I was going to buy the new Avr x2700 but realized the q80t hdmi2.1 output doesnt have a eARC compatibility to return the sound of TV apps do receiver.
No, there was no fix. I ended up returning the Samsung and bought the lg CX.

Yeah the Q80T eARC chages the LPCM5.1 sound to stereo. This is a fact and the Samsung has admit that there is misleading and wrong information on their Web sites.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom