Help with Denon DM41

Goro Majima

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am hoping someone here will be able to help as whilst I love my music I am not great on the equipment!

I've recently bought a Denon DM41 with the intention of connecting up an Astell & Kern SR25, initially via Bluetooth but have also used a 3.5mm to analogue cable. In either case, the only way to get even reasonable sound level is to whack the volume on the A&K right up to the max, which runs the risk of me forgetting to turn it down again when I plug the headphones in and deafening myself!

Just as a test I tried using my phone instead of the A&K with similar results. The A&K has a volume limiter but it's definitely off. I am wondering if there's a fault with the Denon, I am doing something wrong or it's just the way it is and I have to put up with it. Would be grateful for any thoughts, thanks.

Denon do not publish the input sensitivity which doesn't help. Your AK outputs up to 2V which should be ample to drive most inputs.

What is the Denon volume like when using radio or CD? You would need to compare against another DM41 to be sure if there is an issue or not, though you could try a factory reset.

Just to add I did try the factory reset to no avail but have now arranged to go into Richer Sounds next week and test the A&K with a Denon in-store. Will see what transpires.

Perfectly normal to run the source at 100% volume when connected to an amp.

Thanks - if that's the case then fair enough, although Denon support have suggested there may be a fault so will find out when I test it I guess!

Just thought I'd update this for info - kind of resolved thanks to a helpful Richer Sounds. Didn't fix the Bluetooth but with the drop in quality I'm not too fussed about that. With the analogue cable however the problem was that although I'd tried turning on the line out on the A&K player, I didn't realise you then had to go to the volume control and actually press the "line out" message on screen which overrides the normal volume. All good after that!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom