Help with Denon AVR-2400H + Philips 50PUS6703 setup

JauntyOne87

Hi all

Hopefully I'll be clear so I don't confuse anyone. I wasn't sure if I should put this in the TV section or here so please let me know if it's better suited in that arena.

So, I have a Denon AVR-2400H connected to my Philips 50PUS6703 TV. I have a Sky Q box and Chromecast Ultra, as well as other devices (Roku box, Nintendo Switch, Laptop plus more). I'd like to connect everything so I can make the most of HDR content whilst listening to audio via my AV system. I only have stereo speakers but I plan to replace them with a 5.1 speaker set eventually.

I've discovered that my TV only allows ARC via HDMI 1. This is an issue because weirdly, it's the only HDMI port that doesn't enable HDR :(

I think it makes more sense to have all of my devices connected to my AV system, rather than some directly to my TV and others connected via my AV System for day to day use. My wife expects stuff to just work with minimal remotes needed and to be honest, so do I. It would be annoying to have to constantly change settings.

How would you best advise I resolve this so I can guarantee HDR content? I've considered:

1. Connecting another cable to another HDMI port on my TV so I get ARC on TV apps like Netflix but I can also get HDR video from my devices without physically changing cables. The only thing is, I can't work out how to get video out of the second monitor out port from my AV system to HDMI 2 on my TV, so I'm scratching my brain. This also seems like overkill and would prevent me from utilising another zone in the future should I choose to.

2. Connecting an optical cable from my TV to my AV system. I understand that it won't carry Hi-Res audio and I'd like to make the most of my equipment so this is a disadvantage

HELP! Please let me know if I've missed some details that would help you to understand why I'm a bit confused about what to do

gibbsy

Most, if not all Apps on your TV will have a maximum audio stream of Dolby Digital Plus which is passed using HDMI ARC. It is still a lossy format and is not regarded as HD audio. As you only currently have a stereo set up with a possibility of going to 5.1 then I doubt you will notice any different if you connected by optical from the TV to the receiver and have a maximum of Dolby Digital 5.1. The only time optical would fail you is if you went for an Atmos set up of 5.1.2 as optical cannot pass Atmos metadata.

HDR does make a difference to picture quality and that would be my priority with all your sources going through the Denon as a HDMI hub. You will then get a maximum of Dolby Digital Plus from those streaming sources, including SkyQ, that support it. No need to mess around with a second HDMI out and complicate your use.

JauntyOne87

Most, if not all Apps on your TV will have a maximum audio stream of Dolby Digital Plus which is passed using HDMI ARC. It is still a lossy format and is not regarded as HD audio. As you only currently have a stereo set up with a possibility of going to 5.1 then I doubt you will notice any different if you connected by optical from the TV to the receiver and have a maximum of Dolby Digital 5.1. The only time optical would fail you is if you went for an Atmos set up of 5.1.2 as optical cannot pass Atmos metadata.

HDR does make a difference to picture quality and that would be my priority with all your sources going through the Denon as a HDMI hub. You will then get a maximum of Dolby Digital Plus from those streaming sources, including SkyQ, that support it. No need to mess around with a second HDMI out and complicate your use.
Understood, so a cable from my Denon to my HDMI 2 socket of my TV so I can watch everything in (up to) HDR, then an optical cable from my TV back to my AV System for sound.

Thinking about it, if I did want to upgrade to Atmos, I can get all the audio direct from the sound out of my Sky Q box, into my AV as my TV doesn't support the format, so that's all good in terms of future-proofing. Won't need to upgrade my TV just yet thanks to your solution.

Much appreciated gibbsy!! I thought I may be doing things wrong by using an optical cable, which is an older medium but it seems like it's made things beneficial, given my specific challenge!

gibbsy

If your TV is not Atmos capable then optical will give a more stable connection than ARC which can on times be very difficult and cause various problems. You will not lose on very much on audio quality between DD Plus and standard DD.

SkyQ passes an Atmos soundtrack attached to the Dolby Digital Plus format and the Denon once connected to your maximum 5.1.2 layout will automatically detect and decode Atmos. With the Denon connected as 5.1.2 you will also get the benefit of being able to use Dolby Surround and DTS Neural to upscale 5.1 audio to use all the connected speakers.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
I find Dolby digital plus to be quite an improvement over standard Dolby digital. Your experience may be different of course, if you can't hear the difference between the two then Plan A, as above, sounds like a good solution.

However. Using the second HDMI out for HDR video might be worth exploring. I used to do this for gaming, as I was then able to have that HDMI input on the TV all pre-configured for optimal gaming settings. You may find it useful to do that for HDR also? Having a Logitech harmony remote with an HDR activity would make it all easier to live with if you decide to go that route.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Actually, another thought. With all of your external devices do you need to use the TV's apps or tuner at all?

JauntyOne87

If your TV is not Atmos capable then optical will give a more stable connection than ARC which can on times be very difficult and cause various problems. You will not lose on very much on audio quality between DD Plus and standard DD.

SkyQ passes an Atmos soundtrack attached to the Dolby Digital Plus format and the Denon once connected to your maximum 5.1.2 layout will automatically detect and decode Atmos. With the Denon connected as 5.1.2 you will also get the benefit of being able to use Dolby Surround and DTS Neural to upscale 5.1 audio to use all the connected speakers.
It's funny you talk about various problems. For sale reason, I can hear audio from the Netflix TV app via my Denon, but no audio from the Amazon Prime TV app. No idea why there would be any difference in config I can see general settings for audio for the TV as a whole, rather than a per app basis. I'll confirm this with BBC iPlayer and the other TV apps tomorrow.

Hopefully the use of an optical cable will remove this problem. I've should be arriving this week by post.

JauntyOne87

I find Dolby digital plus to be quite an improvement over standard Dolby digital. Your experience may be different of course, if you can't hear the difference between the two then Plan A, as above, sounds like a good solution.

However. Using the second HDMI out for HDR video might be worth exploring. I used to do this for gaming, as I was then able to have that HDMI input on the TV all pre-configured for optimal gaming settings. You may find it useful to do that for HDR also? Having a Logitech harmony remote with an HDR activity would make it all easier to live with if you decide to go that route.
It's likely I would hear the difference but I just need to get used to living with the system with some default settings for now, before I get to tweaking and perfecting. I'm interested in your HDMI 2 setup but I'll crawl before I walk on this run(!)

JauntyOne87

Actually, another thought. With all of your external devices do you need to use the TV's apps or tuner at all?
Good question. For the most part, the answer is no, however the Netflix TV app experience is exemplary compared to the Sky Q and Chromecast alternatives. Not much in it when it comes to some others.

I'm sure there will be some exceptions. For example, the Prime TV app doesn't play video in HDR (perhaps a firmware update will amend this) but I assume HDR content will play fine using my Chromecast Ultra. I'll have to test this. These type of discrepancies keep me.on my toes!

These are the type of challenges I unwittingly asked for by not choosing a more popular Samsung or Android TV compatible model I guess 🤷🏿‍♂️

JauntyOne87

OK so I was moving through the options of my TV when all of a sudden, the screen went black, the Philips logo showed on the screen momentarily (twice). I assumed it would be a crash loop so I turned the TV off then on. Once it started up again, I saw the indication "ARC Active" at the bottom right. This is the first time I've seen this. I usually just see "Amplifier active". Now I'm getting TV audio sent to my Denon AVR-2400H so my audio issues have reduced, just as my optical cable arrived in the post!

I get the feeling that I was choosing options in the menu, but they were failing to activate in some way?! Just one issue to resolve next. I only get HDR from the native Netflix app but can't get the TV to accept incoming HDR signals, even after configuring the HDMI settings to optimal in order to allow 4K60Hz4:4:4 and 4K60 10-bit HDR. I should probably tackle this in a new Philips TV post.

gibbsy & Rambles, thank you again for your assistance!

JauntyOne87

FYI for anyone suffering ARC issues with the Philips PUS6703 range: I accidentally resolved this issue. After confirming the necessary settings (Digital Output is set to DD+ & Audio Out is set to HDMI sound system) I ran the setup assistant on my Denon (settings aren't reset to default using this method) and about 20mins or so later, the TV kicked into action and the 'ARC Active' notification appeared whilst I was viewing a source connected to my AV System. I almost missed it on the way out the house.

I think the difference between this instance and every other time is that I only had one cable connected to the HDMI 1 ARC socket for the duration. I'm not willing to test further to confirm but this might be helpful for anyone else with a similar Philips TV.

😌

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom